Qatar world cup

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Bodd,

it’s possible to take the knee and be anti racism + be against Qatar human rights

the 2 things are not mutually exclusive.

and just because England footballers are playing at Qatar doesn’t make them supportive of Qatar human rights.

You are using dishonest arguments to justify your twisted dislike of BLM.

I don't like BLM. BLM have nothing to do with this. Have you read anything about them and this world cup?

"just because England footballers are playing at Qatar doesn’t make them supportive of Qatar human rights".
You say

Of course not plenty are decent young men. This could be their only chance of World Cup glory so they have kept very quite. I did hear Harry Kane say he's going to educate them...... How you going to do that Harry?

Once this is over they will go about life and abuses just as before.

It’s funny how you never had any interest in this before.

You are only suddenly interested in it because you think it represents hypocrisy, it does not.

Im not sure what your problem is, you clearly have an issue with BLM and taking the knee.

Isn't it funny how you voted Conservative all your life but you have nothing to say that suggests you ever did vote Tory.

It’s funny how you never had any interest in this before.

You are only suddenly interested in it because you think it represents hypocrisy, it does not.

Im not sure what your problem is, you clearly have an issue with BLM and taking the knee.

My interest in the Qatar world cup:
I've been to most of the country's who's citizens have died and been sold a lie. I've seen how hard life is for them. I love their cultures and their country's so I do take an interest.

I spoke to Bangladeshi lads on a flight from Hong Kong to Dhaka. We spoke about their working conditions in Hong Kong. I met Indians in Singapore. Who similarly had hard jobs in harsh conditions living in cramped accommodation. All good people I had no reason to believe they would hold a gun at a pregnant woman's belly.

I spoke to working Philipeanos when passing through Qatar on rout to and from Columbo. They told me a few tails. One did say however that Qatar was better than Saudi.

My lefty Scottish mate who I was with that time got texts from a former Philipeano girlfriend who was stuck in Saudi and wasn't allowed to leave.

I follow Chelsea who's players bend the knee for a drug dealing gun slinging Junkie.

Yes I take an interest and like anything in life there is always a first time when we put our head above the wall and say

"Hey what's going on"

What I find strange Conrad is that your lefty sympathys lay with multi millionaire footballers and corrupt Fifa officials rather than the working man.

Your just different to most leftys I know....

Did you read the facts:confused:

The next thing will be Gareth Southgate promising that all the players will not accept payment for taking part in the World Cup but will donate to the Families.

Very Nobel indeed

This your paper and not my words

There isn’t much point in dressing this up now. Football is two years away from a tournament that is, among other things, a showcase for the glorious productivity of the Kafala system of labour. These working practices have been called a form of modern-day slavery by the International Trade Union Confederation, in conditions across the region that are at times “little more than prisons for workers” according to Amnesty International.

Migrant workers went unpaid by a private Qatari company for up to seven months while building Al Bayt Stadium.
Migrant workers went unpaid by a private Qatari company for up to seven months while building Al Bayt Stadium. Photograph: Adam Davy/PA Images
Those gleaming, splendiferous World Cup venues, those repositories of sound and light, are also tributes to the efficiency of a bonded labour force of Bangladeshis, Nepalese, Indians and other migrant people employed to implement this vast global projection of power. Official figures suggest otherwise, but a counter-commentary of those who monitor the situation suggests there have been thousands of deaths (pdf) along the way. Should we be sitting in these arenas watching football? Or tipping them into the harbour?

It is worth noting Qatar introduced laws last year to diminish and, it is claimed, abolish the Kafala system, under which foreign workers are essentially tied to their employer, unable to seek another job in the country and often too dependent to leave. These new laws have been described as superficial. Only this week Amnesty revealed migrant workers had gone unpaid by a private Qatari company for up to seven months while building Al Bayt Stadium, unable to leave the job, unable to leave the country.

Football speaks fine words while preparing to bask in these glorious migrant-built structures, disposable monuments to a four-week show of power
This is not intended as a piece of whataboutery or a comparison with the scars and the significance of actual, forced, seagoing, murderous European slavery. This is not some ghastly race to find the greater horror. It is simply to point to the oddity of football’s apparent powerlessnesses as it asks itself what it can possibly do about oppression and prejudice as it speaks fine words – cheers, Gianni – about the imbalance of power. All the while preparing to shoot off en masse and bask in these glorious migrant-built structures, disposable monuments to a four-week show of power.

What am I expecting to happen here? Instant cultural reforms? Everyone shakes hands and joins the TUC? Ruling elites to issue a tearful Instagram apology (“this has been a powerful personal journey”)? The best outcome is slow reform which, it seems, is already happening.

I guess I am simply agreeing with Sterling when he says there are structural issues that need to be torn down, while also pointing out that he, as a footballer, is stuck right in the middle of this, a passenger in football’s own exploitative networks.

As for those boarded-up statues, they are at least doing their job. They’re making us think about the past and also the present. Welcome, britches-clad men of destiny, welcome splendid new lighted bowls of Fifa, to the idea of the unintended signifier. We will look on you and marvel. Just not, perhaps, in the way you had in mind.

Nowhere does that say it’s hypocritical of footballers who take the knee and play at Qatar.

What I find strange Conrad is that your lefty sympathys lay with multi millionaire footballers and corrupt Fifa officials rather than the working man.
More made up nonsense.

Your anti-knee bending rant, poorly disguised as sympathy for migrant workers, has unravelled bodd. Let it go....

Nowhere does that say it’s hypocritical of footballers who take the knee and play at Qatar.
The article isn't about the footballers its about the Human rights abuses in Qatar.

Sponsored Links
Back