Qualifications to fit a boiler

Why does every other post on here get treated with such contempt? Nothing in the OP suggested he was going to DIY, yet I see more and more responses on this forum which are either suspicious, or just downright offensive. His follow up response clarifies the situation nicely, if there was any doubt to begin with (personally, I can't say there was, even having re-read the OP multiple times).

If the OP had written something like this:

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/94385-confused.html

Yes, go ahead and blast him. But don't turn away legitimate questions because you've come across one too many DIYers in your time.

Most threads on here are DaftyDIYers doing DIY gas work & the Google Warriors like Bernard Green are falling over themselves to give them & dangerous information.

Most GS registered RGIs like me will only charge about £65.00/hour + vat. But no they're too tight to pay that & think they're bright enough to DIY??!!

Sponsored Links
I thought the existence of Which? was about consumer protection. I am wrong. Their Trusted Trader scheme and allegiance with the manufacturer both prove profit. The consumer comes second.

Scandalous.

Well, they recommend Worcester Bosch, says it all!! They've got to be one of the worst boiler manufacturers on the market.

Most threads on here are DaftyDIYers doing DIY gas work & the Google Warriors like Bernard Green are falling over themselves to give them & dangerous information.

Most GS registered RGIs like me will only charge about £65.00/hour + vat. But no they're too tight to pay that & think they're bright enough to DIY??!!

And I don't disagree with you on that. However, treating every poster with suspicion and a potential DIYer gets tiresome. OP being a case in point. Anyway, just having a bit of a rant - looks like the discussion has moved on anyway.

Although I am a qualified tradesman, gas and electricity are not my fields and hence I am more than willing to for 'peace of mind'.

Unfortunately the route I chose through Trusted Trader and WBosch could not have been worse.

The schemes have two losers; consumers and the genuine good guy tradesmen.

Thanks all for the info and thoughts.

Sponsored Links
The trouble with Accredited Installers are that consumers think these people are experts in their field. The reality is that someone in the company has attended a one day product familiarisation course.

An accredited installer has to reach a turnover target on the number of units installed per year.

Surprisingly, it is very difficult to get installers to do any kind of course, so the manufacturers are doing well if they get someone to turn up for a day, and a day is better than nothing. Worcester and others do their best to keep the good guys and dispose of the bad ones but unless they receive complaints it is not viable to inspect loads of jobs. And if they did, their installers would move their allegiance to another manufacturer, because no installer likes doing remedial works; especially if it isn't the customer asking for them.

If you knew the boiler installation industry well, you would know that the general standard of domestic boiler bashing is very poor indeed. In this market, if Worcester were very fussy they'd only sell 1000, not 300,000 boilers a year. Luckily, they try to be helpful when things go wrong.

Gas Safe Register tries to keep things at a minimum standard, but they don't care if your new boiler is installed to a muck filled system or incorrectly coupled to the old pipework - their remit is purely gas, and frankly, there are plenty of remedial works having to be undertaken with just that alone.

PS: I am a Worcester accredited installer, and a Which Trusted Trader. The latter costs around £780 per annum so I've got to get a few jobs just to pay that off.

Last edited:
The trouble with Accredited Installers are that consumers think these people are experts in their field. The reality is that someone in the company has attended a one day product familiarisation course.

An accredited installer has to reach a turnover target on the number of units installed per year.

Surprisingly, it is very difficult to get installers to do any kind of course, so the manufacturers are doing well if they get someone to turn up for a day, and a day is better than nothing. Worcester and others do their best to keep the good guys and dispose of the bad ones but unless they receive complaints it is not viable to inspect loads of jobs. And if they did, their installers would move their allegiance to another manufacturer, because no installer likes doing remedial works; especially if it isn't the customer asking for them.

If you knew the boiler installation industry well, you would know that the general standard of domestic boiler bashing is very poor indeed. In this market, if Worcester were very fussy they'd only sell 1000, not 300,000 boilers a year. Luckily, they try to be helpful when things go wrong.

Gas Safe Register tries to keep things at a minimum standard, but they don't care if your new boiler is installed to a muck filled system or incorrectly coupled to the old pipework - their remit is purely gas, and frankly, there is plenty of remedial works having to be undertaken with just that alone.

PS: I am a Worcester accredited installer, and a Which Trusted Trader. The latter costs around £780 per annum so I've got to get a few jobs just to pay that off.

Well, more fool you mate. Most WB boilers I see are thrown in by accredited installers trying to make targets. Very poor workmanship & manky systems.

I don't think it is the targets that are the problem.

It is the customers trying to obtain the cheapest quote. They want a Worcester but don't understand that a boiler alone doesn't dictate the reliability or longevity of the finished job. It is only 50% of the story.

The quote chasers think that they have a bargain. What they usually get is a Worcester boiler wonkily attached to undersized pipework, sludge filled radiators and the cheapest controls the installer could obtain at the merchant that day. A pile of trouble that will give them aggro from 24 months onwards, until the boiler hits the skip.

Your beloved boiler brand will suffer just the same as soon as it escapes the tender niche market it is currently residing in. If the scale doesn't kill it first.

As most know I work for a different manufacturer although I don't feel threatened enough to have digs at other makes ;)

I'd have to say though that in this case it sounds like WB went far beyond what they had to do. The company that fitted the boiler don't work for WB they could have very legitimately washed their hands of it. I'm sure they have a disclaimer on their site that says they have no control over the way the accredited installers run their business - we do!!

Selling boilers is a volume game there's not much profit in individual units. I'm sure they're out of pocket over this one.

Credit where credits due personally I'd be thanking them rather than blaming them.

Credit where credits due personally I'd be thanking them rather than blaming them.

I did thank them for employing a very professional outfit. However, their scheme is designed to increase their profits. It is not a charitable scheme and therefore ultimately it is their responsibility to ensure the work carried out by their Accredited Installers meets all the guidelines. It is them who chose who becomes an AI and them who advertise the AIs. There maybe some legal boundaries but if they're making money from the scheme, then morally they are responsible.

The very same principles apply to Which? Although in their case the conflict of interest is scandalous.

Anyone can hang a boiler on the wall, fill the forms in , tick the boxes, take your money and off they pop.

You only find out how good your install guy is when it goes wrong.

Anyone can hang a boiler on the wall, fill the forms in , tick the boxes, take your money and off they pop.

You only find out how good your install guy is when it goes wrong.

Most punters & some less deserning installers, are taken in by WB's marketing w.nk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back