Qualifications to fit a boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

In order to replace a heat only boiler with a combi boiler, would a qualified electrician be required? Or can a plumber with only plumbing qualifications carry out the task?

Obviously there is a lot to consider such as boiler supply, changing thermostats, removing and making safe electrics for the old pumps and hot water tank.

Thanks for any

Sponsored Links
In short: You will need someone with electrical knowledge, it is not a requirement that an electrician has any qualifications.
It is a legal requirement that things are done safely though!

No, since a combi boiler only requires a power supply to operate - the rest of the old wiring is not required and just needs to be disconnected.

A new thermostat will probably be some wireless piece and in many cases the thermostat receiver is built into the boiler, so the electrical connection is a 3 core flex between the boiler and an FCU.

Qualifications are not required and often don't mean very much even if the person has them.

just do it yourself you know you are going to anyway do you think that asking on here gives you some kind of special permission

Sponsored Links
The reason ask is a little convoluted.

I had a combi replacement boiler by a local 'trusted' and 'accredited' firm. On top of some pretty appalling pipework and other bodges, there were numerous electrical blunders, one of which sent me across the kitchen floor. Live pipe!

Another firm was sent, by the 'manufacturer who accredited the local firm', to re-install. They sent an electrician as well as a plumber. The electrician was a little shocked at the electrical work and asked "which electrician did the local firm use?" He was even more shocked when I said he didn't employ one.

So, hopefully that clears up my reason. I am, thankfully, now in possession of a quality and safe heating system.

The reason ask is a little convoluted.

I had a combi replacement boiler by a local 'trusted' and 'accredited' firm.

Another firm was sent, by the 'manufacturer who accredited the local firm', to re-install.

This sounds as if you had a boiler installed badly by someone on a manufacturer's accredited installer list.

Then when you complained they sent another firm out to investigate and correct the shortcomings.

If this is the case then it is about the first time that I have heard of that happening. Most manufacturers will never get involved with any complaints relating to their accredited installers.

Tony

Last edited:
just do it yourself you know you are going to anyway do you think that asking on here gives you some kind of special permission

Why does every other post on here get treated with such contempt? Nothing in the OP suggested he was going to DIY, yet I see more and more responses on this forum which are either suspicious, or just downright offensive. His follow up response clarifies the situation nicely, if there was any doubt to begin with (personally, I can't say there was, even having re-read the OP multiple times).

If the OP had written something like this:

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/94385-confused.html

Yes, go ahead and blast him. But don't turn away legitimate questions because you've come across one too many DIYers in your time.

My view on accredited scheme is thus:

The manufacturer sets up a scheme whereby installers attend training to fit their boilers. This scheme is then used as a marketing ploy to provide the customer with a source of installers through which a boiler can be purchased. The manufacturer therefore sells more boilers and controls who can purchase and fit them.

I went through the manufacturer's website and selected an installer, double checking they were a Which? Trusted Trader as well. Which? profit from their scheme too.

I consider both the manufacturer and Which? to be responsible for the actions of the installer. The schemes both provide are flawed though as no quality checks are ever made on their installations or their actual competence.

The manufacturer has removed the local firm from its website, but Which? still advertises them on its Trusted Trader list. I did leave negative feedback, but Which? removed it! Scandalous in my opinion.

I would personally contact which directly and explain why you left negative feedback, also informing them you have evidence that will back up your claim. And add to that your disappointment firstly in initial recommendation and secondly in the removal of your comments based on your experience with the company.

Will not get you very far, but a bit of a gripe just before the merriment of Christmas never hurt anyone, not even Scrooge!
(possibly did hurt someone, but I will pretend to blissfully ignorant!)

I did contact Which? and sent them photos and the engineer's damning report.

Not only have they removed my feedback, I'm not allowed to use their legal advice helpline against Trusted Traders. So, for whose benefit is this scheme? It's a great advertising platform for traders who then get immunity from any legal advice the consumer may need. Oh and, Which? makes a huge bung from it.

Scandalous. I thought Which? would be fighting against this sort of behaviour, not actually doing it.

Scandalous. I thought Which? would be fighting against this sort of behaviour, not actually doing it.

If the manufacturer states that they have accredited the installer then Which can hardly be expected to become involved in a battle to discredit the manufacturer's acreditation scheme and methods. Such a battle would involve independent legal and technical expert witnesses and be very expensive for all concerned.

I thought the existence of Which? was about consumer protection. I am wrong. Their Trusted Trader scheme and allegiance with the manufacturer both prove profit. The consumer comes second.

Scandalous.

That is the way of the world.

Which did start off as the consumer's champion but has degenerated into a profit seeking company.

People believe that SAGA is a non profit making organisation helping older people. In reality its another company selling insurance and holidays but with a niche market of the over 50s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back