Quality blowlamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lot of soldering to do (new rads/pipework) and want to buy a new blowlamp. Would a propane one be adequate or are the mapp gas one's better in the long run even though they are more expensive. any suggestions welcome.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Propane is ideal for general use particularly on 15/22 mm.

The mapp gas is hotter and enables larger joints to be made quicker but requires a great deal more skill.

The superfire type allows one handed use and saves gas for a professional but is rather over the top for most DIYers.

Tony

The Rothernberger one is also around with Burnz-o-Matic (or very similar) name on it, a bit cheaper. I don't think Rothy make them.
You can get a smaller burner end for them (with injector) which makes them a lot easier to use for normal plumbing.
A lot of blowlamps have spark ignition, but what sets these apart is that they go out as soon as you let go, which can be important for safety.
Even so, for occasional diy use they're expensive.

I've had 2 Turbotorches, which both became hopelessly unreliable.

Standard BG issue blow lamp red gas bottle perfectly adequate and very reliable oh and can also double up as a light weight hammer. :LOL: :LOL:

I used to have a bullfinch autotorch till some bastard pinched it :!:

Now I have one of those Rothenberger superfire 2 things which are good apart from one thing. YOU MUST REMEMBER TO TURN IT OFF PROPERLY AFTER EACH USE. It is possible that if something lands on it whilst in the back of your van it can ignite or at least fill your van with gas.

Fortunately I learnt this the hard way as usual. If I was unlucky I would have learnt it the VERY hard way and torched my van out or the extremely hard way and blew myself up

BTW with the superfire 2 you can use propane or mapp gas

ChrisR said:
I've had 2 Turbotorches, which both became hopelessly unreliable.

I think I'm on my 4th, they all fail to ignight very soon and start to exhibit strange behaviour, differnt for each one. One of them works fine upside down after you give it a tap. My best one is all good except ignition.

If it broke I would buy another because the flame picture is so much better than the Rotty. I have bought every burner head available for the Rotty they don't do a good one.

Think i must of gone through 6 or 7 Rothy superfires & they will send a free service kit on request that replace's the spark assembly,adjustment screw & neck if u can get them f"""king little allen screws out. just bought a turbo tourch last month & very impressed apart from it can take up to 5 or 6 clicks to light un like the rothenburger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back