Query on Masonry Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before you ask why this is in this section, my query revolves around bricks so I though I would get the best answer here.

I have just purchased a couple of 5L tubs of Sandtex Smooth Masonry Paint. I bought them from Screwfix after reading good reviews on the paint.

When the tubs arrived, as usual, I read the instructions on the tub. It clearly states what it is suitable for but also states:

NOT SUITABLE : Common, Fletton or Engineering type bricks

Apart from the fact that this non-suitability is not mentioned anywhere on the Screwfix website, can anyone tell me why it isn't suitable for these surfaces please?

Reason for asking is that the paint was purchased mainly for a rendered external area (so all good) but did plan to use some of it on an external wall between my house and next door (this is not part of either dwelling - just a 'standalone' wall made up of common brick)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It's because of the properties of the clay, moisture and spalling come to mind.

I did not think that it mentioned engineering bricks, just commons and flettons.

Thanks Woody. Not sure I understand that though. If the bricks are fully dry (or new) then sealed with the paint, surely moisture (and thus spalling) would be prevented?

As for the mention of engineering bricks, that category is not shown on the Sandtex website but it is on the rear of the tub (see picture below) Their pdf is evidently out of date. Sorry for the lack of focus!

Paint.jpg

Thanks Woody. Not sure I understand that though. If the bricks are fully dry (or new) then sealed with the paint, surely moisture (and thus spalling) would be prevented?

As for the mention of engineering bricks, that category is not shown on the Sandtex website but it is on the rear of the tub (see picture below) Their pdf is evidently out of date. Sorry for the lack of focus!

View attachment 82046

Sponsored Links
Impermeable or low permeability coatings trap moisture. Large pressure can build up if there is any internal moisture such as from humans which are mostly water anyway. Suns heat does this. Freezing conditions also bad.best solution is to use paint with no polymers such as snowcemplus. It's only cement white or colour shade. Brush, paint trowel or spray.

Before you ask why this is in this section, my query revolves around bricks so I though I would get the best answer here.

I have just purchased a couple of 5L tubs of Sandtex Smooth Masonry Paint. I bought them from Screwfix after reading good reviews on the paint.

When the tubs arrived, as usual, I read the instructions on the tub. It clearly states what it is suitable for but also states:

NOT SUITABLE : Common, Fletton or Engineering type bricks

Apart from the fact that this non-suitability is not mentioned anywhere on the Screwfix website, can anyone tell me why it isn't suitable for these surfaces please?

Reason for asking is that the paint was purchased mainly for a rendered external area (so all good) but did plan to use some of it on an external wall between my house and next door (this is not part of either dwelling - just a 'standalone' wall made up of common brick)

Thanks in advance.
Rising damp from the ground is trapped in the bricks by the paint. In the winter, the damp freezes and expands, thereby forcing the outer face of the brick off.
Trapped moisture can also cause sulphate attack, which breaks down the mortar.

View attachment 82046
The problem may be that many engineering bricks are very smooth. Although they won't be damaged, the paint may not adhere very well.

View attachment 82046

Re paint on Fleton bricks, the manufacturers are probably protecting themselves against potential failures due to excess moisture content. These bricks are especially porous with potentially high moisture content eg left outside in rain for long periods. I use snowcem for this reason because the water content can be adjusted to suit conditions when mixing eg a little less water added to the powder. I used to use the old Sandtex 365 a lot until I read the safety data sheet and discovered how Toxic is was. The new sandtex look a lot safer but have not used it yet.

View attachment 82046
The problem may be that many engineering bricks are very smooth. Although they won't be damaged, the paint may not adhere very well.

Engineering bricks give little adhesion for any type of paint, they have hard, dense and impervious. At the same time, they seem okay with cement because how would you be able to build a wall otherwise. Obviously should not have glazed face. There are many primers out there, which should help with engineering bricks, sika, cemprover etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back