question around whether the electrics in my electrical cupboard look accurate as it's very messy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi hi guys I'm looking to get some help advice I know very little about the electrics, so hopefully this is the right place to come I have just moved into a property and I'm noticing a few things that are concerning as I'm decorating and I just want to get some advice essentially my electrical cupboard which sits above the main entrance door the fuse box is not attached it's kind of hanging off the wall, there is rubble inside the cupboard, lots of different wires and I don't really understand what they are but there seems to be more wires coming into the fuse box than going out to the fuse box to my apartment there is a singular white wire which hangs on its own and also there is a big hole in the wall next to where the electrical wires coming to the property with a pipe inside of it and I'm unsure as to what that is and why that's there but it appears that the Rubble that's in the actual cupboard could be from that hole
IMG_20170729_161223.jpg
IMG_20170729_161248.jpg
IMG_20170729_161152.jpg
IMG_20170729_161013.jpg
IMG_20170729_161239.jpg
IMG_20170729_164627.jpg
IMG_20170729_164637.jpg
IMG_20170729_164637.jpg
so if anyone can give me an advice on the photos I posted that would be wonderful thank you very much in advance for your help and support and advice

Sponsored Links
Something is odd there, is that the supplier's meter or is the landlord supplying the electric? I can't see a meter board which it would be attached to along with the main earth terminal which seems to be attached to the board with the consumer unit. That should indeed be secured properly.
Perhaps the supplier's board was somewhere the owner didn't like so they got someone to move it on the cheap. So you've ended up like that.
Worth contacting your dno and telling them your main supply seems dangerous could they come and check it, send them the photos.
Can you also post a photo of the other side of that Wall with the cables coming from outside? Has this property been concerted from a house to flats or something?

Is that cable incoming to the meter T & E or ali-tube or something?

In which case, those "tails" will only be single insulated.

They have had flimsy silicone sleeving slipped over, but that hardly qualifies.

Also, that hole has not been made good.

Is that cable incoming to the meter T & E or ali-tube or something?

Picture 1 it looks round, like the inner sheath of a SWA, i wonder if its 3 core SWA and they used the sleeving to harmonise the colours

Love the dates on the inspection label.

Sponsored Links
I agree, looks like SWA, and the cores look like they have been oversleeved by heatshrink which has not been shrunk for some reason (could be just normal pvc sleeve though, but looks like HS to me). It looks like what is known as a "soft latteral" (the cable between the cutout/rye field and a remote meter in flat, etc) these would have originally been installed by the supply authority, but now a-days the DNO (distribution network operator) say its the reponsibily of a BNO (building network operator) which often does not exist. It looks like its been renewed recently (probably by a domestic installer going on how its been terminated) and may have been in MICC or VIR singles in containment originally. I suggest you at least get the block management company to do something about the lack of fire sealent around the cable, I would expect that it is a bit of a hot topic (excuse the pun) and it and all the other flats with teh same issue will be addressed pronto when notified......

Thanks guys all really helpful and extremely knowlagable answers.

This is a housing association property late 18oos, the otherside is outside my front door and its all boxed in. Yea I know the dates are fudged prob the lettings team.

Its strange as all the wires into the circuit meter come up the wall to the right then dissapear behind like x6 those become x4 on the way back into my flat and the earth goes everywhere.
Being a HA they are really bad at fixing this stuff, is there a body I can call to get them to inspect it and get a report? Preferably free. SSE is coming Monday to swap the pre pre pay meter for q regular one maybe he will suggest ??

Attachments

• IMG_20170730_011352.jpg
    IMG_20170730_011352.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_20170730_011430.jpg
    IMG_20170730_011430.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_20170730_011513.jpg
    IMG_20170730_011513.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 323
Also the empty tube is a metal pipe like a gas pipe coming out of the wall its useless and unused but a breeze comes through it lol
Escape route perhaps ha

If a breeze can come through it then so could smoke in the event of a fire. Plug it with putty or silicon.

He didn't even look at it as the meter and consumer unit are not attached to the same board he said I have to get HA to fix first, still all a mystery. Further note I saw my flar has a wire running into the hallway attaching to some box, none of the other flats on my level have this? Just mine, I'm really lost and don't know what to do.
IMG_20170805_222615.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back