Question re Wylex fuse box and new socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to fit a single socket into the space under my stairs to connect a plugged 4W LED strip light and to charge a cordless vac.In my Wylex fusebox there is a spare 15W terminal that used to feed a long ago removed immersion heater.
The cable from this 15W terminal goes into a junction box directly under where I need the new socket, so it would be handy to run 2.5 twin and earth from this junction box but is it ok to do this if its got a 15W fuse in the fusebox?

Sponsored Links
If the cable from the fusebox is 2.5mm²,and protected by a 15 amp OPD ,then yes you can connect a double socket to it.

You will require RCD protection for this new socket. Is this old heater supply RCD protected?

Sponsored Links
RCD sockets to bs7288 are not to be used by themselves, the product standard states they do not provide additional protection and that they need to be supplied by a circuit with 30ma protection already provided.

Therefore they are a device without a valid use under BS 7671, this is why they have been omitted from the listing of RCD types, and uses, and why the standard has been omitted from Appendix 1.

Ok, so can I still do this as planned.
Or do I have to fit an RCD socket on the wall.

Well you are a diyer. So you can do what you want as long as you consider it safe.

There is no technical reason why this socket needs rcd protection above any other sockets in your house. Apart from it being new.

Put the money towards a new cu

I know I can do it if I want to but dont want to do anything thats illegal/unsafe.
No it's not got RCD protection, its a Wylex that was fitted in the 1980s.
It has four fuses - a 5A for the lights, a 30A for sockets and two 15A fuses,one to a fridge freezer and one that used to go to the immersion heater.So if the fridge freezer is on a 15A, is it ok ( not likely to cause any future problems) to feed the new socket from the vacant 15A?

The requirement says new sockets should have rcd protection.

If you were going to fit this new socket to plug in a hedge cutter then it would be sensible to fit an rcd.
For what you intend to use it for it doesn’t sound like an rcd would make a difference.

It will not cause problems to socket a socket to a 15A fuse

Thanks AndyPRK and everyone else for your valuable info. So I'll go ahead re the socket and then contact a local spark to replace the Wylex.Can anyone give me an idea of the going rate?
I live in the Manchester area.

I'd budget for around £500 give or take £100. All depends on what testing he see's fit before changing the board and what the board consists of i.e. SPD, RCBOS, or just dual RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back