Quick EOL Question Please

gti

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Im really sorry as im sure its been asked many many times, Ive done as much searching as i can on here and google but i have not got a definitive answer.

Im installing a Texecom Excel and i would like to use EOL. Ive wired up all the PIRS as per the texecom manual(one per zone using the two resistor method as shown to the right), but im stuck on how to do the magnet sensors as i need to put two on one zone. Do you run the magent sensors in parallel and double the resistor values, or series and half the resistor values so they measure the same at the panel?

mags.jpg

If anyone could point me in the right direction or even better add the resistors to my image that would be fantastic.

PS ive ran a separate wire from the panel to each magnet sensor in a star style.

Many thanks

Trev

Sponsored Links
both contacts must be as your drawing shows, in series. if they were in paralel you would have to open both doors before the alarm would notice.

one contact will have 2 resistors (shunt and EOL) the other will just have a shunt resistor.

I was pondering on if that would work as if both contacts were open simultaneously then you'd end up with 54Kohms instead of 32Kohms.
would work but some of the wiring wont be protected from tampering anymore.

look at it the other way.

panel must see EOL to know all is well, door opens shunt and EOL resistance are added together = door open

doesnt matter which door opens

if both doors open it will know there is more than 1 door open

if it goes to infinite resistance it knows the cable is cut and so goes into tamper

there is probably a limit to the number of devices that panel can accept on 1 cct, but i bet its not 2.

oh and as you point out the cable will have no tamper protection.
remember each cable is being brought to the panel

Sponsored Links
which is what i said.

but your drawing does show 2 contacts sitting adjacent eachother, the OP is running a cable to each. although it works as i said and your diagram shows, its not going to look like that.

its too late for me to do a sketch. i can do one tomorrow if wanted.

night all.

I'd appreciate a drawing Breezer as it might help get it in my head a little better when it comes to planning my install... (As I'd like to protect the downstairs windows and in all of the rooms there's 2 windows)

Rob

i chose red and blue for the purposes of the drawing only.

The purple shape on each contact is the SHUNT resistor

The orange shape on the right contact is the END OF LINE resistor

The purple shape at the bottom of the picture is a single choc bloc to connect the blue to the red (thats why its purple)

The two outer wires go to the panel terminals for which ever circuit.

the other cores of the cable you are using you should trim down.

when i get the time i will maske this up and photograph it

Thanks everyone for the replys

both contacts must be as your drawing shows, in series. if they were in paralel you would have to open both doors before the alarm would notice.

I was thinking about that this morning and i thought ahh that wont work :oops:

Thanks for your replys breezer, that makes sense.

mags2.jpg

With regards to the resistor values the eol will remain 10k and the shunts 22k. Would the pannel be fine seeing a posiable 54k if both magnets where open?

Im guessing it works out the states based of the resistence sensed ie
10k mags closed zones tamper ok
32k+ mags open tamper ok
0ohm short tamper
Open circuit tamper

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Trev

depends on your panel. i have only ever seen 1 panel where you had to be carfull if you had more than one door on a cct

all other panels will use the same resstors no matter how many doors it has on that cct (within reason) so if a panle has 11k shunt and 78k EOL then both doors will need to have an 11k shunt, but the last one will also require a 78k EOL (i made the numbers up you understand)

Yes that makes sense.

Thanks loads again breezer for all the help. It should all be up and running at the weekend.

Regards

Trev

Just thought i would update you. Ive fitted the pannel, put the resistors into the pirs and mags, today and its working a treat.

Thanks again everyone

Trev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back