Quick Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok iam after some help please. I install Home Cinema as a part of my business and recently have done a job that required a spur socket installing on an existing circuit. Now it was in a living room and so doesnt enter Part P. The client is asking for a certificate, am i right in thinking there is nothing needed to give?

usually ill use a part p elec for bigger work but it was only a spur so i thought i'd do it myself, now im not sure what is required of me.

Thanks, Jason

Sponsored Links
It would be reasonable for the client to assume that unless agreed otherwise, all electricial works would meet the relevant british standard (BS7671); this calls for a minor electrical works certificate to be issued in the circumstances you describe.

Generally its considered a bad thing not to work to BS7671, its not statutory, but its the standard by which your work would be judged by

That extra socket would require a minor works cirtificate. To issue one you would need to have a set of calibrated test intstruments and be competant in inspection and testing.

sounds like i'll be getting a local sparky in then, how much is a reasonable charge to inspect and test?

Is it just a case of passing the testing values? or will design etc be taken into account? Basically what iam asking is am i likely to struggle getting the certificate since the sparky hasnt done the work?

at this rate the next red tape will require me to need an electrican to change a fuse:D

P.S thanks for the quick replies, great stuff

Sponsored Links
at this rate the next red tape will require me to need an electrican to change a fuse:D

At what rate?

It has been a requirement to issue a certificate for all works as long as I have been in the trade

well in that case im an idiot, i had no idea that adding a spur required a test certification. Just as well i dont usually do the electrics. I blame the part p flow charts which say "if this then do this" because they dont mention any further responsibilities well thats my excuse anyway :D

On a side note, in my own home adding a spur in a non special location doesnt require part p, would i need to test certify this too?

Also my house was built in 2006 should i have a certificate or similar as im the first owner and have no such paperwork relating to any electrics.

Thanks, and sorry for drifting slightly from my original post.

Part P covers all electrical work in domestic dwellings in Enlgand and Wales, P1 of Part P requires : "P1: Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury."
Certain works are non-notifiable as you describe i.e. adding a socket living room, however it still must comply with P1.
One method of complying with P1 is to work to BS7671 (aka IEE regs). This requires the inspection, testing and certification of the works before putting it into service.
In your case a minor electrical installation works certificate would be correct.

another point to note: fused spurs are not notifiable (in none special locations etc), but none fused spurs are (although additional sockets on a ring / radial arent (in none special locations etc)).

another point to note: fused spurs are not notifiable (in none special locations etc), but none fused spurs are (although additional sockets on a ring / radial arent (in none special locations etc)).

What?

Where`s this come from then?

In answer to the original question,
Yes it comes under Part P if in England or Wales.
ALL electrical installation works does.
No it is not notifiable if not in a kitchen or special location or outside.
Unless you tested it to BS 7671 or some other alternative then how do you know it`s safe?
An electrician would not be able to certify it but if you use a three signatory certificate then you could sign the design and install parts and your lecky could sign the inspection/test part providing he can check the cable route properly.

What?

Where`s this come from then?
I may well be wrong but I was always under that impression from this:
(from //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law)
the following work was classed as not needing notification to LABC:
2. Work which -
(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,
(b) does not involve work on a special installation, and
(c) consists of -
(i) adding light fittings and switches to an
existing circuit or
(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an
existing ring or radial circuit.
i read it as adding sockets on a ring/radial is non notifiable, and adding fused spurs is none notifiable thus insinuating that (none fused) spurs are notifiable. I see it could be read differently but I read it as that, as they are not on a ring but spurred off it.

I always interpreted fused spur as fused connection unit and assumed that whatever wiring was required to perform the addition was included as part of the job of adding those sockets/FCUs. Afaict most electricians do too.

No a fused (or unfused for that matter) spur is a third set of cables say T & E from a ring.
Yes we do often use the term fused pur when we really mean a switch fused connection unit and that might be a source of confusion.
A bit like reffering to a Ring Main rather than a Ring Final Circuit
or like the term Live which includes Phase and (usually) N or bulb when we mean lamp.

got a sparky to give me a minor elecs cert for it for £30 which i was happy with.

More to the point an ad campaign would be great, people really need to know what they can and cant do in the home and what testing / paperwork is required. lets face it the only people who know at the moment are sparkys and that is a dangerous situation to be in.

Us sparkys have been crying out for an ad campaign and proper enforcement on Part P. There has been nothing so far but more paperwork and expense for those that do comply.

:cry:

Yeah, what are NICEIC and the like doing with all that advertising money they get out of their members.

99% of householders I come across are aware that the law has changed.

Half of those think it just means getting someone calling themselves an electrician in to do electrical work for them. :rolleyes:

I don't think its so much a question of general awareness but more specific. The big problem is where with gas its just get CORGI fitters (and even then theres upteen different levels of membership).
With electricians its make sure you get a NICEIC, ELECSA, ECA, NAPIT member, or someone who notifies building control. Hmmm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back