Quiet doorbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved and inherited this. It 'dings' but doesn't 'dong' and is as loud as an amoeba sneezing. I want to replace it with a modern wireless job. However, it has a transformer under fusebox, fed from fusebox. How can I disconnect this so wiring's dead?

Thanks

20211011_140514.jpg

Attachments

• 20211011_140458.jpg
    20211011_140458.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
please show a full pic of the consumer unit, including all the MCBs.

One of them "should" feed the doorbell transormer, probably a B6 breaker, same as for the lights, and this should be labelled.

You would have to open the case and tinker inside. Are you safe and willing to do that? If not, get a qualified electrician.

The way it has been done may be unsatisfactory. It is more usual (but not essential) to put a fused connecton unit outside the CU, and feed the transformer from that.

in the meantime, you can adjust your ding-dong. Post some pictures of it, with the case open.

Hi John

Thanks for reply. Thought I'd attached some pics. Couple more attached.

Revitalising the old bell isn't an option, so I need to isolate it.

Ta

20211011_155133.jpg 20211011_155118.jpg

Attachments

• 20211011_140458.jpg
    20211011_140458.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
I want to remove or remove the wiring to the transformer, and therefore the bell on wall, not turn off the bell at the fuse, because then I also lose the alarm and lighting! I wondered how is it wired and or what happens if you unscrew the two screws on the front?

I ask because I cannot find any info on the net. :(

:?:

Then you have to disconnect the wires from where they are connected in the consumer unit.

If you unscrew the screws on the front of the CU, the front comes off.

Switch off the Main Switch first - but be aware the wires to the main switch will still be live.

It certainly looks as if it connects to No 1 MCB, which suggests it will be quite 'busy'. Hopefully you can follow the wires to the consumer unit and just disconnect the bell transformer and leave the other two circuits in place.

All I can add is, do not blindly believe the stickers on the consumer unit. Where I am currently working, none of the stickers are truthful.

Funnily enough, I recently had to move their ring doorbell.

The "electrician" had left this

ring.jpg

(I undid the RCD).

I had to move the ring doorbell by about 6 inches on the outerwall and ended up using the old door entry transformer. The customers were in the house and working.I flicked all of the obvious MCBs bar the one labeled "top of house". In the end I had to work on the feed live. As an aside, I then noticed that the metal back box for the RCD is not screwed to the wall...

Might it be the case that the existing doorbell only dongs rather than ding donging because the current transformer is only 8 volts? You mention wanting to use a wireless doorbell. I am aware that there are some doorbell pushes that work without batteries.You push the button, it generates a click frequency that is "recognised" (read: heard) by the plug in chimes. If that is not what you are looking at, might it not be more prudent to replace the existing bell transformer with one that is rated up to 24v, which I believe will work with the likes of the Ring and Nest doorbells.

Hi Opps

Thanks for that and good observation. Her Ladyship wants the chimer gone now and I'm indifferent, so I think I'll still nobble it. This is a house that Jack built, as we continue to find things which challenge... (three pin lighting bayonets anyone? You remember those bulbs which lit up 30 secs after you turned the light switch on?!) Ha!

Thanks all for replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back