Radiator Plumbing Options

Sponsored Links
The hallway is tiny - just about enough space to open the front door, step to the side and close it. The landing is a good bit bigger so as you say hopefully the heat rises.
I don't think you understand. Heat does rise, no "hopefully" about it, but surely you don' t want that. All that will give you is a hot landing and cold hall.

The hall was also tiny in the situation I described about 4 ft square! All of the heat stayed upstairs, at level radiator level and above, after a few steps down, the temperature dropped dramatically. Having said that, the door at the bottom was single glazed to the outside and because it was the exit from an upstairs flat didn't have any rooms off it to add any extra heat.

My aunt always regretted not having it at the bottom, just didn't want you to be in the same situation that's all.

The hallway is tiny - just about enough space to open the front door, step to the side and close it. The landing is a good bit bigger so as you say hopefully the heat rises.
I don't think you understand. Heat does rise, no "hopefully" about it, but surely you don' t want that. All that will give you is a hot landing and cold hall.

The hall was also tiny in the situation I described about 4 ft square! All of the heat stayed upstairs, at level radiator level and above, after a few steps down, the temperature dropped dramatically. Having said that, the door at the bottom was single glazed to the outside and because it was the exit from an upstairs flat didn't have any rooms off it to add any extra heat.

My aunt always regretted not having it at the bottom, just didn't want you to be in the same situation that's all.

Here is a picture of the size of the hall. I was hoping this rad would warm up the hall to a certain degree but as you say the heat will rise up the stairs to the landing. My front door & side window is PVC double glazed.

Also, I have bought the wrong 15mm chrome elbow to go on the bottom of my TRV&lockshield. Can I get a fitting to go directly on or will I need a chrome pipe insert? I think I have seen an elbow that allows a plastic pipe to push directly into the end?

Here is a picture of the size of the hall. I was hoping this rad would warm up the hall to a certain degree but as you say the heat will rise up the stairs to the landing. My front door & side window is PVC double glazed.

OK that's fine. From your first photo I mistakenly thought that the rad was at the top of the stairs near the landing, not just two steps up from the bottom.

Sponsored Links

OK that's fine. From your first photo I mistakenly thought that the rad was at the top of the stairs near the landing, not just two steps up from the bottom.

Do you think that will heat the hall and stairs/landing as well? That would save me having a radiator on the landing. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see.

That will heat the hall stairs & landing, no problem. Assuming you live in a 'normal' home and not a stately pile with a landing the size of your local library.

Very few homes have a radiator on the landing anyway, because as we have ascertained. "heat rises"

That elbow is wrong for what you want to do as you will need a stub of pipe.

You can get chrome/nickel plated push-fit street elbows. Pipe pushes in one end, t'other end will go in the compression end of your TRV. (Although, TRVs are available with push-fit elbows already fitted. Pegler Terrier, for example.)

You can get chrome/nickel plated push-fit street elbows. Pipe pushes in one end, t'other end will go in the compression end of your TRV. (Although, TRVs are available with push-fit elbows already fitted. Pegler Terrier, for example.)

I've been away for a bit and this little project has been put on hold.

I'm struggling to get hold of this 15mm chrome street elbow. Every store I have looked in either doesnt have them or only has the 15mm to 10mm plastic version. I have however come across what I think might be it on Wicks website. It says 15mm and I'm hoping thats 15mm to 15mm plastic which is what I need. I attempted to use JG plastic elbow and they looked awful.

15mm > http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/228595

10mm > http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/228603/?source=123_75

The 15mm head does look bigger I think.

I've been away for a bit and this little project has been put on hold.

I'm struggling to get hold of this 15mm chrome street elbow. Every store I have looked in either doesnt have them or only has the 15mm to 10mm plastic version. I have however come across what I think might be it on Wicks website. It says 15mm and I'm hoping thats 15mm to 15mm plastic which is what I need. I attempted to use JG plastic elbow and they looked awful.

15mm > http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/228595

10mm > http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/228603/?source=123_75

The 15mm head does look bigger I think.

Sorry for being a pain but does this elbow looks like its 15mm to 15mm?
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/228595
:?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back