Radiator ticking when hot water running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As the title says, my bathroom radiator makes a ticking noise when hot water is running, however makes no noise at all when the heating is running. I’ve bled it in the hope that would help but no joy. Other than this it works fine, just don’t know what it could be or if I should worry about it?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you sure its the radiator ticking? I get a ticking when I pull the plug out of a sink full of hot water or when I tip hot water (draining pasta etc) down my kitchen sink. It's the plastic waste/joints expanding.

Definitely the radiator, can hear the noise in the radiator upstairs when running the hot tap downstairs with the plug in

Do you have a combi boiler ?
When heating is OFF and you run hot tap ,does radiator tick ?

Sponsored Links
Yes,it’s a combi, and yes, it ticks when the heating is off and hot water is running

When heating is OFF ,and hot tap is running ,does the radiator show any signs of being slightly warm ,at the bottom or top ?

Run hot tap and feel the two pipes that join to the rad ,are either of them warm ?( with heating off). If they don't ,you have nothing to worry about. What you hear is the hot water heating the pipe it runs through ,pipe expands ,and rubs against something ,sound resounding thru rad.

Thank you, I’ll double check when I get home and as long as it’s not getting hot I’ll stop worrying about it then, thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back