On now about the gang grooming abuse
In Rochdale ;)

Rape
Assault

Witness tampering / threats

Etc

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Pity they don't do a similar documentary about abuse and cover-up in religious organisations.
It would pale the gang grooming abuse into insignificance.

Pity they don't do a similar documentary about abuse and cover-up in religious organisations.
It would pale the gang grooming abuse into insignificance.
strange outlook, i’m sure you wouldn’t want it paled into insignificance if it was your daughter.

Sponsored Links
lets just justify paedophilia and other horrendous crime by continually reporting worse cases. :LOL:
only bobby

From a couple of years ago......

Are you saying "the Police" are instructed to avoid investigating certain groups?

In the same way that if I'm asked to go to Birmingham then I must be avoiding Norwich.

(Meaning, if Police have limited resources and are told - by the Home Office, for example - to target, say, pickpockets, they will necessarily not be targeting paedos as rigorously as they may previously have done).

That, I can sort of understand.
So why might they be told to leave say, a small businessman and some other "nobodies", in a provincial town alone?

I just find it interesting / disturbing why the known abuse (by both some in the Catholic Church, and also by the aforementioned "nobodies") was covered up / swept under the carpet / not acted upon.

is it because, as a whole, the country wasn't interested and didn't care?

"Hundreds of children in the care of Lambeth Council were subjected to prolonged sexual, physical and racial abuse, an inquiry has heard.

For decades victims were targeted by paedophiles working at the council-run Shirley Oaks campus in Croydon.

The inquiry heard that despite widespread mistreatment of children, the authority failed to investigate any allegations at the time.

The Shirley Oaks abuse scandal is seen as one of the worst in British history.

This hearing is part of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) and is being held virtually.

Until 1980, hundreds of children there lived in "isolation, fear and vulnerability", inquiry barrister Rachel Langdale QC said."

"One, John Carroll, was revealed by another council to have a conviction for abuse, and to have concealed it from his employer.

Yet he was not sacked for years - and was not dismissed for child abuse - the inquiry heard.

Ms Langdale added: "Lambeth officials decided that Carroll should not be dismissed on account of his previous conviction, nor on account of his concealment of it."

Carroll was sacked in 1991 because of "financial irregularities", Ms Langdale said.

He was jailed for 10 years at Liverpool Crown Court in 1999 after admitting a string of sexual assaults against children while working in residential care between 1966 and 1986.

'Screams throughout the building'
Another paedophile, William Hook, managed to keep a job as a house father, despite being described as a "Walter Mitty character" working for his food and lodging.

The inquiry heard one former resident described how Hook openly sexually abused a care home child at a swimming pool.

Children were beaten, and locked up while one was held down in a bath of cold water resulting in "screams throughout the building".

Another was threatened with being "cut into little pieces" by an adult wielding garden shears, the inquiry heard.

Ms Langdale told the inquiry one child complained to Lambeth Council in the 1990s, saying that while she was in care her aim had been to keep her head down and get out of the system.

"If the height of a child in care's aspiration is simply to grow up so to escape it, then that is a damning indictment of the care system," Ms Langdale said."

"Shayne Donnelly, 53

“I was a ‘lifer’ at Shirley Oaks. I was there from April 1968, when I was aged one, until it closed in 1983. At its peak there were 400 kids there and when we were out and about playing, it was fun. It was when we went back into the houses that the nightmares began. We didn’t know the others were going through the same stuff. I was abused over a nine-year period. It was sexual, physical and racial. At one point when I was 12, I tried to commit suicide. I didn’t tell anyone about the abuse until 2014. I was at a funeral of a friend. I got a few of us together. I didn’t want the perpetrators to get away with it, the authorities to get away with it. I wanted justice. I called Raymond [Stevenson, who set up the survivors’ group Shirley Oaks Survivors Association], who I have known all my life.”

Elizabeth Todd, nee Donnelly, 67

533.jpg

Elizabeth Donnelly.

“I went to Shirley Oaks aged two, in 1955 and I was there until I was 15. I was raped when I was eight years old and this went on for two years. The man told me that if I told anyone, my mum would be sent to prison. I didn’t tell anyone. It was quite horrifying really. I had a breakdown in my 30s when I started to relive what happened. I was interviewed as part of the Operation Middleton inquiry. I have had flashbacks. Ten years ago I was diagnosed with complex post-traumatic stress disorder. I have suffered the repercussions of what happened to me [in Shirley Oaks] all my life.”

Kevin Donnelly, 61

“I was in Shirley Oaks from 1962 to 1975. I left when I was 18. I didn’t tell anyone about what happened to me until the police approached me as part of Operation Middleton. The police were investigating William Hook, who was a swimming instructor at Shirley Oaks. I was abused by Hook and I gave evidence against him and he was jailed for 10 years. I hadn’t said anything to anyone before about this because I was ashamed. Hook abused me when I was 13 and it went on until I was 16 – when I could fight back. Shirley Oaks was a paedophiles’ paradise.”

Theresa Donnelly, 59

“I went into Shirley Oaks aged 18 months. I was six years old when I was abused. It was sexual abuse. It went on for quite a while. At six years old I don’t think you can comprehend what is happening to you. I always knew something had happened to me. I can see him and I can hear him. My mum took us out one day to London. In a train station I went to the toilet and started crying. And she asked me why. I told her it hurt down below. She came down to the home and smashed all the windows. She got arrested that day. She knew her children were being abused and she couldn’t do anything about it. She had the struggle of her children being taken off her. She tried to fight the system. My heart goes out to her. My mum disappeared 30 years ago. I don’t know what happened to her.”"

is it because, as a whole, the country wasn't interested and didn't care?

Possibly.

If we had some data on crime figures across the period, and whether there was any change in the reporting / recording / prosecution of such, we could see how much merit your point has?

well the stats from the time won't show all the ignored crime, such as the Croydon case I mentioned.

So what do you have in mind to do with your crime figures?

Why all the hand wringing and outrage about child abuse now.
It was going on for years and no one cared.

nobody suggested that

until you did.
i didn’t , your mate bobby did. he thinks you can brush stuff under the carpet by comparing it to worse stuff. i’d expected you to defend him .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back