Rain in the combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hi there,

Got a soon to be fitted vertical flue termination which i had a closer look at yesterday when moving some other stuff around. It's going on a Vaillant Ecotec Pro 24. Anyway, I had imagined the job of the vertical termination would be to allow inlet air and flue gasses access to atmosphere whilst keeping rain out. This is achieved for inlet air, but flue gas just exits vertically with a grill for keeping out large enough solid objects.

I guess my initial imaginings were just wrong, and that this is normal, right? Rain water, hailstones, snow, insects etc etc are presumably directed safely out of the condensate drain without being able to block it? Or is my vertical flue termination missing some sort of lid (doesn't appear to be)?

Cheers,

Liam

Sponsored Links
Got a soon to be fitted vertical flue termination which i had a closer look at yesterday when moving some other stuff around.

It's going on a Vaillant Ecotec Pro 24. Anyway, I had imagined the job

Stop imagining, if it it fails, contact the fitter. Best to have it fitted then complain, imaginary complaints aren`t usually responded to. I`ve just had an imaginary extension, not happy.

Sponsored Links
If rain comes down, wont be much. It will just drain away same route as condensate. Nothing to worry about.

If rain comes down, wont be much. It will just drain away same route as condensate. Nothing to worry about.

Until you get a hailstorm and the trap blocks which I had recently. :LOL:

All the bits came from Mr Central Heating. Seemed a good deal for boiler, rads, wireless room stat etc, though I threw away the rad valves on the reccommendation of my fitter cos they looked like tat and got some terriers. Fitter is a friend of a work colleague who's a corgi (well he was when I started - now of course he's a gassafe :) ) who's letting me do the leg work and doing the stuff he has to do himself - gas, hang boiler, flue etc.

Anyway I've pretty much finished with the plumbing so he's coming back soon to commission. Was getting the vertical flue kit out and noticed I could look right down it. It's actually a gloworm vertical flue rather than Vaillant, that I was sent, but the fitment is identical to the Vaillant flue bits. I'm inclined to think it's supposed to be like this since it is like this and the flue manual shows no extra bits. Will obviously check with the gas man, but thought I'd ask on here beforehand.

Cheers,

Liam

All the bits came from Mr Central Heating. Seemed a good deal for boiler, rads, wireless room stat etc, though I threw away the rad valves on the reccommendation of my fitter cos they looked like tat and got some terriers. Fitter is a friend of a work colleague who's a corgi (well he was when I started - now of course he's a gassafe :) ) who's letting me do the leg work and doing the stuff he has to do himself - gas, hang boiler, flue etc.

Anyway I've pretty much finished with the plumbing so he's coming back soon to commission. Was getting the vertical flue kit out and noticed I could look right down it. It's actually a gloworm vertical flue rather than Vaillant, that I was sent, but the fitment is identical to the Vaillant flue bits. I'm inclined to think it's supposed to be like this since it is like this and the flue manual shows no extra bits. Will obviously check with the gas man, but thought I'd ask on here beforehand.

Cheers,

Liam

it is meant to be like that and the vaillant/glow worm flues are identical.

Cheers for the help, folks. I guess I better check the trap after every big hailstorm then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back