Range Tribune HE quick question (electricity usage increase)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not even going to pretend to understand how this thing works but is there any reason, when functioning properly, why a Range Tribune HE would use electricity when the programmer (Honeywell ST9400c) is set to 'auto' but not timed to be on yet? Throughout the day (hot water only timed to kick on for an hr every morning) my electricity usage monitor jumps up to about 35p p/h for a minute or so and it would appear to be my Range Tribune HE. What would cause that? or (and I can't imagine so) is it expected?

Thanks for any help and suggestion
Andrew[/img][/code]

Sponsored Links
its a recent thing tho. For the last couple of months my electricity use has shot up and nothing has changed in my usage, other than this noticeable jump when the boiler seems to be doing something. To my ear it sounds like its heating water. But there's no reason for it to do so

Sponsored Links
I honestly don't know. Don't think anything has been changed since we first moved in a couple of years ago (its a new build) but as I've got no real knowledge of what the thing is or does (which I'm embarrassed now to say!!) I couldn't say without being told where to look. I was under the impression that the hour I had the hot water timed to be on just heated the water in the tank ready for the days use. Is this not the case? I'm beginning to think not now...

So, back to basics. When I turn on the hot tap, or the shower.what happens? Does cold water get heated up quickly by this thing or does hot water come from a supply that I had heating up for an hr that morning? If the former what is the hot water timer setting on the programmer for?

Very sorry to be asking some probably very rudimentary questions so incredibly grateful for guidance. This recent jump in energy use has me flummoxed.

Andrew

do you have a gas boiler ? the timer you would suggest that you have.

there is a gas boiler downstairs in the kitchen (which as far as I've been able to fathom fires up when the central heating kicks on) and this range tribune he upstairs.

control curcuits will never use much in a domestic situation you are talking a few watts maybe as much as 300w over an hour

tv 75w an hour computer maybe 300w an hour
if it dosen't warm till its to hot to handle then its using less than 10p an hour

if you are using an energy monitor then they can be very innacurate at low levels

as in try the same but turn on a tv or even a light and see what happens

thanks big-all but sorry, I don't know what you're trying to tell me. My actual energy use has shot up over last couple of months, I'm not just basing this on an energy monitor read out.

@picasso There is a power lead from the wall to the range tribune that leads directly into the front of the cylinder into an immersion heater terminal. Does this not need to be on for the system to function? I just assumed it powered the whole system.

Is it asking too much for a very brief rundown of how such a system works? There are two 2 port valves of which I presume one controls heating and one the hot water. Are these both independent of the power lead into the immersion terminal? What happens when I turn on the hot water tap, or the shower on?

the cable from the cylinder to a fused switch spur is most likely to be the immersion.

There is also on the front of the cylinder a stat with a cable( probably set at maximum 65). This goes to the heating controls.

@picasso There is a power lead from the wall to the range tribune that leads directly into the front of the cylinder into an immersion heater terminal. Does this not need to be on for the system to function? I just assumed it powered the whole system.

no as already said this is the immersion heater, the switch you have put on heats the water in the cylinder using electricity, turn it off and let the gas boiler heat the water, the st9400c timer has 2 channels, one for heating and the other for hot water, have a read of the instructions and any more questions post back.

thanks to all.
so its just the immersion heater being on constantly that is causing the elec increase. I've read through the instruction manuals we've got but the one for the cylinder is far from helpful. I just didn't realise it was the gas boiler that 'powered' the hot water. Immersion turned off at wall now.

What didn't help was both my thermo cartridges in my showers died iduring this period too. And because I didn't know how the whole system worked I never knew that they'd duffed up on me. And the lever on one of the valves was loose. 2 new cartridges have been fitted and synch motor replaced in valve.

I'm a complete dolt for presuming the fused switch turned everything on. That most probably got turned on at the same time the thermo cartridges died in an attempt to get warm showers again (i now understand how the cartridges control the shower heat as opposed to the temp dial just being the hot water 'tap')

Immersion off at the wall.
Hot water set to come on an hour every morning.

Thanks again.

I'm a complete dolt for presuming the fused switch turned everything on.
You are not the first to think that and won't be the last. ;)

My son asked me about three years ago why his electricity bill had more than doubled in a quarter. My immediate thought was: immersion heater. So I asked if it was turned on. "Yes," he said, "I thought you needed it on to run the boiler."

He's just about paid off the arrears.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back