Rant of the year.

K

kai

I recently went into S**co to buy a new Consumer Unit, I took it to the Cash desk, the price was fifty pounds plus v.a.t. I then got Six crisp new tenners out of my wallet to pay for the item including v.a.t. The sales assistant promptly rang up the cash purchase on the till, and the receipt began printing off at the till.

He then asked me for proof of ID, which due to data protection act rules, I was entitled to refuse to hand over where I was paying over the whole purchase price in Cash (Six crisp tenners).

I said that I left my ID at home.

He then promptly asked the Manager, and was told by the Manager, that the sale must be Voided immediately on the till with the supervisory key provided, and that we must Lose that cash Sale regardless!!!

Has anyone got a decent explanation for this stupid incident??, now S**co had just lost a sale in the Post Recession era!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I did not have their trade card, as I belive my personal data is secure without, and I pay by CASH ONLY.

Sponsored Links
Dunno, there's a sign in our Denmans that says they'll need your name & address etc in case of product recalls, for warranties etc. Not that I've ever seen them enforce it. Maybe Selco do the same thing but are stricter about it? (Likely the case if it's a new policy)

Selco is a trade suppliers. They do not sell to the public. You need to prove you are a trades person to buy from them.

You need prove you are a trading company, to obtain a trade card at Selco and they only deal with their registered members, you cannot walk off the street to purchase. I have a trade card, they only ask me for my reg no, not photographic proof of my existence or even the card!

Has anyone got a decent explanation for this stupid incident??,
Those in charge of Selco are apparently stuck in the era of retail price maintenance, special 'trade only' suppliers and shops that don't open on Wednesdays.

Are they also the sort of place that quotes prices like £2000 for a roll of cable and then applies some spurious 97.9% discount when you pay for it?

He then asked me for proof of ID, which due to data protection act rules, I was entitled to refuse to hand over
True, but if you were under 25 you'd be snookered with this attitude if you wanted to get p***ed.

Has anyone got a decent explanation for this stupid incident??
Yes I do, you're a fool with a bad attitude towards shop staff. Didn't you ask them for a specific reason for their refusal to serve you? I really hope you didnt stand there quoting data protection act rules etc. Shop staff really hate that. They'd have talked unfavourably about you when you left.

They did say they were "Trade only suppliers" though, which wound me up, as Neweys and WF's happily sell to anyone, without asking for any details.
I did not mention any data protection act rules, I just said that I left it at home. I visit them so rarely (If ever) it's not worth getting their Card, the same with Makro.

In your shoes I would have done the following:

Left the money, and left with the item, and if necessary defended myself with reasonable force against any illegal assault in me.

• Thanks
Reactions: kai
True, but if you were under 25 you'd be snookered with this attitude if you wanted to get p***ed.
I had a very enjoyable moment once in the USA, when (at the age of over 40) I was asked for ID going into a bar.

"Sorry", I said, "I come from a free country where I do not have to carry ID", and while the guy on the door made like a guppy I walked in.

I really hope you didnt stand there quoting data protection act rules etc. Shop staff really hate that.
They hate having the reality of laws pointed out to them, and hate being expected to comply?

LABTTD.

They did say they were "Trade only suppliers"
Did they cite which Act of Parliament or Statutory Instrument on which they were relying?
Do they really need legislation? I thought that those who sold goods were free to decide what people, or groups of people, they were prepared to sell to - provided only that they did not violate anti-discrimination laws. Is that wrong?

Kind Regards, John

Wrong?

Absolutely.

Unlawful?

Possibly not, but I would love to see them try to interest the police in a charge of theft if someone paid the asking price and left with the goods. Or to try and justify using physical force to prevent someone leaving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back