Ratchet Crimping Pliers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can someone suggest a good manufacturer for Ratchet Crimping Pliers. I want to join 2 lengths of 2.5 electrical cable, rather than using a junction box etc. I have taken a look at CK tools but just wanted to check if there was any better makes out there (baring in mind all the jobs are DIY but I don't want to work with rubbish tools)

Sponsored Links
i don't think there's anyone better.

There are plenty worse.

Silverline and unbranded ones at about £12 for example.

John

When using the rachet, I presume I need appropriate fitting/clips (not sure what they are called) where do I get these from. If I new the names I would google

Cheers

They are called Crimps. Any electrical supplier will have them but they might be in boxes of a thousand :LOL: I saw small packets of a dozen or so in B&Q the other day. You want the tubular "butt" crimps (not the sort used on cars).

The colour-coding of the plastic insulation on the crimps for the usual crimping pliers (they fit all 3 sizes) is:
Red 0.5-1.0 mm
Blue 1.5-2.5 mm
Yellow 4.0-6.0 mm

I don't know what colour is used for 10mm but you would need bigger crimpers. Most domestic circuits are on the Blue. The bigger ones (16mm and 25mm) I have seen used were uninsulated.

You can also get them with a heat-shrink sleeving incorporated. So far I have only seen this type in the Rapid Electronics catalogue but it is such a good idea that they may be getting more widely available.

Sponsored Links
Zooming, the crimps you require are Blue butts. If you email me your address I'll drop you a packet in the post. The company I work for make these, amongst other things, so I've always got a few "laying around ;) We do the tools as well but I'd have to charge you for that! CK are good though, you won't go far wrong with one of their tools.

Cheers

Symo

BTW, we do the heatshrink ones as well. They give a great crimp and the heatshrink is adhesive lined so you get a nice water-proof join. You'll need a heat gun for these though.

Symo

An exxcellent offer, in fact touched that someone would go this far when it's only a forum that normaly exchanges advise. Not sure how to get your email address, can you provide over the forum.

Cheers

Now worries zooming. I've learnt tons of useful stuff from this forum, and others, and all of it free! So, only too glad to help where possible.

Email is REMOVED

Cheers

Matt

Symo, If I can help you in any way please let me know.

Now for my order

5000 Red 4mm forks
5000 Blue 4mm forks
5000 Red butts
5000 Blue butts
5000 Yellow rings with 6mm hole

:LOL:

Pensdown :LOL: I'm sure I could do you a good deal on those, but to get them for nothing you'd have to be exceptionally good in bed, oh, and a woman or at least a very convincing ladyboy! ;)

Symo

Pensdown

If acceptable I could act as the go between (otherwise known as your pimp) and I'm sure I could get a better deal for you :D

If not i'm happy still to accept my small freebie :p

Cheers

Oops! :oops: Did I break a rule?

read them and find out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back