Ratchet ring spanners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone use them?

I've looked at both fixed head and flexi head but to me, they can't do any thing a socket set can't do.

With the flexi head type, they couldn't get into a compact space.

Just curious!

Sponsored Links
I use my fixed head ratchet combination spanners all the time, and have a full set of the Halfords Pro range.
I have the odd cranked head one for unusual applications that crop up from time to time but to be honest they are rarely used.....I do have a 1/4” flex head ratchet driver that has paid for itself (once).
John :)

I have a set of Snap-on fixed head at work and a set of Halfords Pro at home.

Use them all the time, come in very handy!.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gents!

This set has good feedback from buyers, some of them say they're better than higher price spanners.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I use them now and again, handy to have in your collection.
Good thing about Halfords is the lifetime guarantee, with ratcheting equipment this is a good idea.

I find them useful but I don't buy expensive ones as I am more likely to lose them than break them. I buy mostly 'Silverline' tools they are very reasonably priced on ebay and Toolstation and good quality.

Peter

I’ve had a set of Snap-On ratchet spanner’s for more than 20 years and about the only one I’ve used in the last 10 is the 13mm 6 sided one for taking out sump drain plugs. I also have a 27mm swivel headed ratchet spanner and that’s a godsend for removing Land Rover 2.2 oil filter housings.

I find them useful but I don't buy expensive ones as I am more likely to lose them than break them. I buy mostly 'Silverline' tools they are very reasonably priced on ebay and Toolstation and good quality.

Peter
I don't think Id put Silverline and quality in the same sentence unless they have improved in recent years?

I noticed today that in Lidl they have a set that's not like those linked above - more like a socket set but with a big hole through the middle for long bolts.
While not something that would last for years in professional/work use, they certainly seem to be OK for the odd DIY use.

They are called hollow sockets or pass throughs, Matty and certainly they have their place - particularly in sprung applications.

particularly in sprung applications.
just to clarify for those who may not know ,As in tightening suspension Strut shaft nut where its often in a recess and the shaft has to be locked with a hex key ,a task that ratchet wrenches could not perform, if I get your drift John?

Certainly, that's one application.....often there isn't enough space to get a ring spanner in there, or at least to enable the nut to be turned more than a few degrees at a time.
Thankfully I use an impact wrench to shock the nut off and on these days.
Another spot is on the rear brake compensator on large vans or trucks..... The nut is recessed within a forging and access is very difficult. On one Iveco I was working on, an ordinary socket was fine, but I could only turn it with a pair of mole grips a bit at a time. A hollow socket with wrench would have saved me an hour but at least I got the job done.

Yep, I've done worse than that before if it gets the job done! Just so long as the socket doesn't have to be drilled or filed :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back