rating powertools from diy sheds dewalt metabo bosch etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this is the heading i wanted but caricters are limited

"the sheds own tools diy tools and proffesional tools how do they compare and how do you rate them "

rating 1 as poor to 10 is the best where do you rate tools

1and 2 most off the ones you never heard off
3 own makes with minimum parts
4 jcb black and decker lidl and the like
5 bosch green ryobi
6 aeg
7 dewalt hitachi makita
8 bosch blue
10 festool allegedly

you thoughts on other makes and your positions

you can put a make in 2 different positions but you need to add why you think some off there tools are worse than other

if we get enough poster we will go for a forum average to leave in the sticky for easy reference

"have retitled this thread to make it more in line with the content

Sponsored Links
But how can you genuinely judge/rate a product if you've never had one?

Silverline. -10

Supermarket brands. 1

Diy shed brands. 5

Bosch Green, B&Q Pro-line. 6

De Walt, Makita. 8

Bosch blue, Milwaukee 10

HILTI +50

Sponsored Links
i thought mayfell were the cheaper end? of festo.

tis a shame they stopped with the 'ELU' stuff,dewalt were really never as good.

Cheap toot 4 or less

Bosch Green, Hitachi, Dremel 4

De Walt 5

Milwaukee, Bosch Blue 9

Makita 10

1. "SITE"/ Maktec by Makita
2. direct power
3. silverline
4. black & decker
5. green Bosch
6. DeWalt
7. Milwaukee/AEG/Atlas Copco
8. Festool
9. blue bosch
10. Hilti/Fein

Used to really like the DeWalt tools but lately the quality has dropped in my opinion, most of our gear is now the blue Bosch range and its of excellent quality. I like the Milwaukee tools but they are quite expensive for what they are. Can only dream of owning Hilti at the moment.

I have a "site" cordless and it does exactly what it says.
Ideal for light indoor work.
3x 1.4amp batts and a 15 min charger.

I have a "site" cordless and it does exactly what it says.
Ideal for light indoor work.
3x 1.4amp batts and a 15 min charger.

give it a position number to go in the totals please :D

I like the Milwaukee tools but they are quite expensive for what they are. Can only dream of owning Hilti at the moment.

Whilst Hilti have a good reputation, i struggle to see how they can be so much 'better' than the top end mainstream. Clever marketing? protecting their well earned reputation?

Re Milwaukee, i'm becoming a fan of their 12V range. Very handy for all the daily stuff that doesn't justify the big boys toys being dragged out the van. These can be had with very good discounts on some reputable sites.

i thought mayfell were the cheaper end? of festo.

tis a shame they stopped with the 'ELU' stuff,dewalt were really never as good.
Really????? :eek: You've very obviously never owned any of their (Mafell) stuff! Mafell make some stuff for Festool and have a very good reputation in their home country (Germany)

you by your own experences and observations
That I can relate to. You simply can't rank a power tool company on their entire range. For example both Milwaukee and Mafell heve what are generally regarded as quality tool ranges - but they both have their weak points; for example Mafell's power planer is a bit old fashioned and underpowered against the current offerings from Makita (KP0810CK) and deWalt (D26500) - same is true of the Milwaukee power planer, and their jigsaws aren't a patch on the equivalent price items from Bosch (e.g. GST140BCE, etc) which many rate as highly as the Festools (if not higher). I agree that the "industrial" brands are bbetr than the DIY ones, but other than that I think you have to rate each individual tool on its' own merits

DNF - Silverline

3. Performance power,
4. Macallister, Evolution (have one of their mitre saws for outdoor uses, saw is good guides and fences not so much.)

5. Ryobi,
6. AEG Bosch green (about 3 things all at least 4 years old though)
7. Ryobi industrial (old japanese 7kg breaker)
8. Makita, Belle, Don't own any dewalt
9. Bosch blue, Stihl (power saw) 18v ryobi impact driver, yet to find any impact driver more powerful.

10. ??????

you by your own experences and observations
That I can relate to. You simply can't rank a power tool company on their entire range. For example both Milwaukee and Mafell heve what are generally regarded as quality tool ranges - but they both have their weak points; for example Mafell's power planer is a bit old fashioned and underpowered against the current offerings from Makita (BK0810CK) and deWalt (D26500) - same is true of the Milwaukee power planer, and their jigsaws aren't a patch on the equivalent price items from Bosch (e.g. GST140BCE, etc) which many rate as highly as the Festools (if not higher). I agree that the "industrial" brands are bbetr than the DIY ones, but other than that I think you have to rate each individual tool on its' own merits

yes i do realise that this is a rather blunt instrument but with so many variables you would finnish with no outcome or a 1000 page document :D

the results will average what people have posted on here and other forums no make will get included until they have been rated 5+ times

its simply that people have nowt to go on except the price and manufacturers bumf

Garden machinery and small plant:
Stihl 10, Husqvarna 10, Ryobi 6, Evolution 2, Belle 8, McCulloch 3,
Honda 10, Westwood 7, Mountfield 7, Countax 8 Chinese stuff 0,
Karcher 7, WAP 8, Nilfisk 9

Power tools:
Hitachi 9, Bosch green 7 (no blue stuff), Proline 2, Hilti (240v) 10,
Makita 9, Black and Decker 7, Erbauer 4, Aldi / Lidl stuff 2, DeWalt 4,
SIP 9 (radial arm saw)

Garage tools:
Britool 10, Snap On 10, Halfords pro 9, Draper 6, Laser 5, Silverline 0,
SIP Welders 8, Clarke welders 7 Clarke compressors 8, Clarke air line gear 3

John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back