rating powertools from diy sheds dewalt metabo bosch etc

It's funny you should rate the DeWalt so highly Fox, as i have a good rep with mine also.

I bought a Milwaukee 2 set which included an 18v lith-ion impact and a heavy duty 18v lith-ion drill. Brilliant.

When i took the impact in for new brushes they were selling a similar DeWalt equivalent (which i bought) and i would say that, thus far, the Dewalt is equally as good.

The Milwaukee stuff feels heavier (reassuringly so) and probably edges it with the power on the impact.

However, both the heavy duty drills are beasts with both (steel) chucks being excellent. The torque is wrist breaking!

Years ago i owned a pair of 12v DeWalt ni-cads and they were moderate at best but their heavy duty stuff is going good for now.

I have used a DeWalt SDS drill and was complete pants compared to the Bosch blue. All noise and no poke.

Sponsored Links
I have used a DeWalt SDS drill and was complete pants compared to the Bosch blue. All noise and no poke.
How true! How true! Used a colleague's DW SDS this afternoon - it was really struggling. Went and fetched my Bosch blue out odf the van (not a high end one, either) and it drilled about twice as fast.......

...you may be right.

The contractor that swore by Hilti is a pre-fab concrete installer i.e. stairs, beams, sections etc and he mainly used Hilti - fixing, cutting, breaking tools.

He said some of the tools barely stopped for weeks on end!
Ah, for that, i agree, they have no equal.

Do the sheds sell stuff like blue Bosch, Hilti etc?

It would seem to be 180° against their basic philosophy....

Sponsored Links
Do the sheds sell stuff like blue Bosch, Hilti etc?

It would seem to be 180° against their basic philosophy....

its more to do with restricted titles[restricted carricters]
what i wanted was

"the sheds own tools diy tools and proffesional tools how do they compare and how do you rate them "

"the sheds own tools diy tools and proffesional tools how do they compare and how do you rate them "
How about this ROT - imperfect, but erring on the side of caution:

Shed own brands: Utter sh*te.

Professional tools: Beware makers being bought by DIY-centric makers who promptly cut costs by putting their sh*te innards inside shells which look like the original professional ones.

bosch blue 9 .dewalt, makita 8 .hitachi 6 .bostitch nail gun 8 .home base circular saw 12yr old 5

rate your tools even if they haven't been mentioned much as i wont give any tool a mark with less than 5 scores even if a perfect 10 as the sample will be to small allowing easy manipulation
i am lumping the results together with the same poll on ultimate handyman the poll is fully my idea so not an attempt to spam the same link to here is posted on uhm

Here's my input from what I actually own:

10 - henry vacuum
9 - bosch blue (4 different 10.8v liIon tools)
8 - makita (24V sds drill, 12" petrol grinder, belt sander, 1/2" router)
7 - DeWalt (self leveling laser)
6 - paslode (im350, im250)
5 - site (110v circular saw, 110v grinder)
4 - sparky (wall chasing machine)
3 - bosch green (240v planer)
2 - DeWalt (240v sds drill)
1 - various other non branded stuff

Hope a double entry for dewalt is allowed, but their quality seems so inconsistent these days.

yes you can enter as many times as you like it makes no difference as the total will be total numbers added together[1-10] divided by numbers[17 mentions for example]

so iff for example you rated dewalt as 2-5-9 your contribution would be 2+5+9=16 over 3 categories so 16 divided by 3 is 5.33 average so no problem

Milwaukee 18v combi drill 9
Bosch blue 24v sds drill 9
Bosch blue grinder 8
Bosch green planer 8
Bosch green circular saw 8
Bosch green 18v combi 7
dremel multitool 7
Black and decker power file 6
Performance power chop saw 5

Hilti 22v circular saw 9
Hilti 22v impact driver 10
Hilti 22v combi drill 10
Hilti 22v sds drill 10
Mafell MT55 10
Festool OF1400 10
Festool Kapex 8
Festool midi extractor 8
Festool EHL65 7
Bosch gst140 8
Paslode IM350+ 8
Paslode IM65 6
Leica L2 9
Hilti PD5 10
Festool cordless carvex 2
Festool TS55 7
Dewalt plunge saw 8
Dwalt 28v combi drill 5
Dewalt 28v circular saw 6
Trend T4 6
Trend T5 8
Hilti 850 jigsaw 8
Makita GN900 7

John....

can you please contribute even if you only have 2 or 3 tools doesn't matter the make or model just place them where you like i have about 20 reviews which means most makes wont get a mention as they will be below the 5 mentions needed to be included

will conclude the initial findings next week end
i hope keep the thread on going for a bigger sample and include more manufacturers

From my own experience.

Just picked up a couple of second hand "power G" 18v cordless drills okish for predrilling etc but no great shakes - 3
Dewalt 14.4v 5-6 years old now and still going strong - 7-8
Dewalt 14.4v circular only really good for light work- 5 unlike the makita 18v lithium which is excellent - 8
I've used Bosch and makita cordless drills -currently 6-7 and 8 respectivly although I've found the Bosch drills have dropped in quality whilst makita have improved.
makita 18v impact driver compact ,and powerful - 8-9
Hitachi , only experience is a 9" angle grinder that I wasn't very impressed with- 5
Bosch planer , poor design - 5
Dewalt planer better but still not perfect , heavy and a tad fiddly - 7
Metabo jigsaw, finally packed up after 20 odd years - 8
Metabo sds second hand but seems fine - 7
Dewalt sds 240v again around 5-6 years old and going strong- 7
Bosch sds blues seem fine - 7-8
Bosch 24v sds super tool - 8
bosch jigsaw - 8
An old Black and Decker jigsaw 240v and probably wouldn't stand up to everyday use but still going strong and cuts in a straight line - 7
Several other B&D drills that are as old as God's dog but are still working fine all 240 though but still rated as - 7
Wolf 4" belt sander not as good as the makita tool but cracking value - 7 with the makita at 8-9
Rexon okish but too much reliance on plastic parts - 6
Fein cutter cracking tool for akward spots but expensive blades and a cheap switch - 7

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back