Rats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got to remove an old shed next week for a client. Today I saw an enormous rat coming and going from under the floor. Can't say I'm looking forward to the job. Am I being a wuss if I were to tell the client to get rid of them first? Don't really fancy taking him and his big brother on. Certainly will keep the dog out of the way as I suspect the one I saw could give him a run for his money.

I did wonder about flooding them out first, or asking the client to get rid of them!

Not clear on diseases from rats, though I recall something about nasty problems with rat wee. Should this really be my problem? Ever been in a similar situation and if so, did you just "man up" and get on with it?

Sponsored Links
You might like to put down plenty of rat baits and wait a week or so for them to peg out. The Rentokil bue grains in a big plastic bottle seem to work well. Bury or burn the bodies you find. The owner should replenish the baits daily. You will know all the rats are dead when the baits stop needding to be replenished. Cover them to prevents pets or birds eating them.

Rats will attack you if they see no other escape.

Am I being a wuss if I were to tell the client to get rid of them first?
yes. they wont hurt you, as soon as you start tearing the shed down they'll leg it,
but you might like to tuck your trouser legs into your socks until you've seen them make their dash for new cover.
you should wash your hands before you have your sarnies and if any of you develope flue like symptoms after a few days of working on this job
go see your doctor and tell him/her that you was working on a rat infested site then they'll check for weil's disease.
worth a read to you. http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=45718&sid=321c7acae89cf98139e44f87d3b8335f

Sponsored Links
we use empty tonne sacks as temporary light rubbish containers for cement bags, wrapping and packaging etc.
we once built an extension next to a field of grain crop. rodents saw our tonne sacks as paradise.

you should have seen the blighters hopping around our legs as we emptied the sacks into a skip.

hilarious.

the best of it was, we had transported the sacks back to our other skip 8 miles away in the van. :eek:

This shed is right in the corner of the garden, backed by high brick walls, so their escape routes are limited. That's why i ain't looking forward to them running out right at me!

Have told the customer to flush them out before I go there. Not my problem. Whether they do or not is anyone's guess!

rats dont much like water, but they can swim, ever seen "life of grime", they showed rats in sewers they swim very well

I would suggest the rat trap route

If rats don't like water how come so many of them spend so much time at sea on ships?

We were always told not to walk directly into a corner of the ships hold but always walk along a side. If the rat feels trapped, or has no escape, it will attack, it can easily leap six feet and it always goes for the throat.

Enjoy.............................

You can catch Leptosporosis (weils disease) from rats **** and im some cases from cows and sheep.

your doing the job of removing the shed, not rat removal. if you dont fancy doing it then dont do it, thats why you work for yourself.....remember!!! :LOL:

Well, in the end I didn't come across any of the blighters, so panic over. To be fair they had laid some poison down. TBH, I was more afraid of the huge spiders in there! Yes, I am a wuss.

Sponsored Links
Back