Ravenheat RSF100 ET

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a problem with a ravenheat combi boiler as the header states.
When it tries to fire the fan comes on and the pilot ignites so the firing sequence seems fine. The problem is that it does not come on fully all that happens is the pilot stays on nothing else. The central heating pump comes on i have tested the stats etc. Checked gas pressure and that is ok. It has a cvi modulating valve. The burner pressure is nil. Could the valve be faulty?????

Sponsored Links
Why don't you guys look at the Servicing Instructions?

They include fault finding charts - you just follow through until you get to the point of your fault, and hopefully read off what's wrong. If you haven't got the initiative to get a copy and use it, you probably shouldn't be attempting to repair. Get a professional in.

chrishutt said:
Why don't you guys look at the Servicing Instructions?

They include fault finding charts - you just follow through until you get to the point of your fault, and hope

MOD

pack that in

not gonna start throwing the rule about but if you want me to i will

Sorry to upset you, Ordo, I didn't realise you were such a sensitive soul.

OK, so you've gone through the fault finding, and it says (for CH mode) does main burner light? - NO - is there 230 volts at pin ML connections? - (YOUR ANSWER HERE) - then its the gas valve or ignition board, depending. On the other hand if fault is on DHW operation (you don't say which) you're looking at diverter valve and switches.

Later addition to post - Sorry to MOD too, I shouldn't have been so sharp in my post above, but you know how it is sometimes. I guess I provoked the response, and probably deserved it.

MOD

no you didnt chris

Sponsored Links
Chris, I rarely post here nowadays because I am not encouraged to by the site owner but felt that I should add a couple of points.

Firstly I would recommend that you do not give advice on DIY repairs which need a certain level of competence with electricity or gas because if he followed your advice and killed himself you could find yourself on the end of a law suit claiming 100s of thousands of pounds from his wife or relatives.

Secondly, I dont think what you said was unreasonable in the circumstances.

I dont know what his response was as it has been deleted but one assumes that it was quite impolite. That reflects on his assumption that you have a duty to provide him with free advice.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks Tony.

What I didn't realise at the time of making the post in question is that Ordo appears to be a professional too (check his posts via his profile). Quite probably Corgi registered, etc. so his angry response wasn't so surprising. But quite frankly the way he hadn't seemed to follow through with the fault finding led me to assume a lack of professionalism.

Agile said:
Firstly I would recommend that you do not give advice on DIY repairs which need a certain level of competence with electricity or gas because if he followed your advice and killed himself you could find yourself on the end of a law suit claiming 100s of thousands of pounds from his wife or relatives.

Tony this has come up many times over the years and to be honest I don't really understand it, as long as the advice given is accurate I don't see a problem....all the same information could be picked up from a book off the net or even in the library and of course from the instructions... this is a fine forum which helps all us professionals pick up bits of information off each other and help some needy diyers along the way

It does not matter that the advice is correct. The problem is that you should not encourage someone to do something he may not be qualified to do. The effect could be a fatality and a lawsuit against you and this website for publishing it.

As you know the IDHE website asks posters to refrain from giving any advice unless they hold Professional Consultants indemnity. The site owner here is surprisingly unconcerned although I have pointed out the potential problem to him too.

Of course I gave Chris that advice on the assumption the original poster was an unqualified DIYer. Thats how he portrayed himself and demonstrates that anyone should set out their experience level.

If Chris is right then the advice should be appropriate to an RGI however I would prefer to know the CORGI No. before giving advice to an RGI.

I am trying to protect Chris and others from unnecessary problems and liabilities! I like to be public spirited but dont usually get thanked for it!

Tony

music-smiley-021.gif

quite brought a tear to the old eye

Sorry Tony but if I hear much more of this American style litigeous drivel I will be driven insane...or shall I sue corgi, viper, tolleys et all for providing me with this information before I was competent to practice it?....ah decisions, desicions.

Chrishutt,
Please accept my appoligise. I flew off the handle a bit and i take back.
For all interested i am corgi registered and posses a technical card so hopefully there is no problems with killing myself.
Chrishutt your response to faultfinding is appreciated. Sorry to the MOD also.
Cheers

Ordo, apologies accepted, as I hope you accept mine for my post being rather hostile in tone.

It wasn't anything personal of course, but so often people ask questions which can be easily answered by reference to Manufacturers Instructions. Now and again I feel moved to say something about it and on this occasion I went over the top a bit.

I dont think you were over the top Chris, based on what Ordo had originally posted!

He has now confessed to being "one of us" ( an RGI ).

Can I suggest he could in future post his enquiries at argi.org.uk where all RGIs are welcomed ( when they are not abusive that is ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back