Rayburn Royal OF7 - Fumes in hot oven since oil tank work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an oil Rayburn Royal OF7 which has worked fine for years but over the last few days has started producing a bad smell of fumes in the hot oven. (The smell isn't an oil smell, I've spilt enough of that to know!). This only started since I did some work on the plastic storage tank (1200 litres). Previously it had only been supported on block pillars running length ways down each side of the tank but this left a large section of the tank unsupported so when it was filled a large bulge appeared at the bottom though this reduced as the tank emptied. To overcome this I've placed 4 pieces of 4”x 2” timber under the tank, running from side to side, which I did a few days ago after the tank ran dry to make it easier to man handle. I removed the top layer of blocks before fitting the timbers so the net effect on the tank is that it has been lowered by about 50mm. The smell has coincided with this work. Other things that have happened/checked over the last couple of weeks are:

• chimney swept/flue cleaned. I rechecked this a couple of days ago thinking maybe a lump of render or something had been dislodged when it was swept but I can clearly see the sky so no problem there
• burner serviced (by me as I have done every summer since the Rayburn was installed – 2nd hand) which included decarbonising the fuel pipe at the base of the burner and the area where the fuel comes up into the burner, fitting new wicks, checking the burner was level, and ensuring the all the metal perforated baskets and baffles were clean
• I have checked the oil flow rate at the regulator which is 4ml on the low setting and 15ml on high
• the fall on the tank is 85cm to the oil regulator
• tank filled, it was dry so 1200 litres went in
• I have bled the oil pipe
• New filter fitted at the tank

The flame is yellow so presumably is not burning correctly but I’m stuck on what to do next. I can’t see it being the new oil, I’ve used the same reputable supplier for many years now without any problems. Could it be that as there was a build up of swarf/gunge/sludge etc where the tank used to bulge and now by providing better support this has been dislodged and is floating around in the tank, though surely the filter would catch this?? Any ideas or suggestions?[/b]

Sponsored Links
For a start the oil tank is not supported correctly. Wood is not suitable it rots, it needs to be slabs on lintles and extend 300mm out around the base. Nothing can be stored under the oil tank which constitutes a fire risk.
You need to get that sorted first then get the rayburn checked, might be that crud has got into the float valve, have you cleaned the filter on it? The levels need to be checked from the float valve to the base and you need a scientifically calibrate measuring device for checking the depth of oil.

Thanks, I've had the same comment about the base on another forum. I'll get it sorted.

I can't see how the float valve has changed in anyway, the Rayburn worked perfectly before the tank was altered. I had to change the outlet pipe length when I moved the tank, maybe some crud got into the pipe then??? The regulator is a BM30, do you mean the filter in that? I've never been in it so not sure where the filter is, I guess its a very small one.

If there are any air leaks due to distorted circular perforated metal shells or a warped top plate, or something not settled properly in place, they will burn yellow and stink and make soot. Make sure the little lighting door closes in an airtight manner. Any leaks in this area will cause problems, as will a centre plug that is not airtight. Tiny distortions in the shape of any of these components will give trouble, as can air bubbles in the feed pipe from float chamber to the burner.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll take the burner out and double check but I'm still not convinced the problem isn't tank or feed pipe related, the problem only started when the tank supports were altered, before then the Rayburn had been smell free and working fine.

Check your filters and that there are no air bubbles in the supply to the float chamber, also that your firevalve is open - fully anticlockwise.

Yellow flames indicate either air through the shell seals, a blocked flue,an incorrect level of oil in the burner. or too low flow of oil. As advised check filters, check oil flow into the float valve, check oil flow out of the oil control. Have you cleaned the metering slot aperture in the float valve?
These are simple burners, and doing the simple things right should cure it.

Thanks Oilhead. I've left the internals of the regulator alone, didn't really want to get into that if I could help it, so no I've not checked metering slot. The flow out of the regulator is between 5 and 15cc per min which is correct (according to the data stamped on the reg cover), shouldn't that mean the flow in and metering mechanism is working as it should?

For a start the oil tank is not supported correctly. Wood is not suitable it rots, it needs to be slabs on lintles and extend 300mm out around the base. Nothing can be stored under the oil tank which constitutes a fire risk.
You need to get that sorted first then get the rayburn checked, might be that crud has got into the float valve, have you cleaned the filter on it? The levels need to be checked from the float valve to the base and you need a scientifically calibrate measuring device for checking the depth of oil.

a scientifically calibrate measuring device for checking the depth of oil.

Otherwise known as a steel ruler!!! :LOL: :LOL:

a scientifically calibrate measuring device for checking the depth of oil.

Otherwise known as a steel ruler!!! :LOL: :LOL:[/quote]

Or the end of a broken hacksaw blade !!!!!
(The oil level stays clearly shown on the enamel, and the level should be halfway up the hole)

Glad to see someone knows about the hacksaw blade which I can assure you had a label on it stating scientifically calibrated device on the OFTEC course.
Or was it me just trying to be smart, mmmmm.

Thanks, anyone know what the oil depth should be on a BM30, there's nothing on the top cover to show what it should be?

I drop an 8mm nut in the burner well, when the oil reaches the top of the nut, the depth is correct! ;)

Attached an image here of the burner in action, any thoughts?
GALLERY]

Not the most distinct picture, but what setting is the BM control on? If on high, then there is too little oil. As you have measured flow to 15cc/min, then I would say the oil depth in the burner is too low. On high fire, there should be a crown of blue flame above the shells. Whilst still alight, try screwing down the nuts on the BM mounting plate a turn at a time and see how it alters the flame picture. If the picture is the flame at a low setting, turn up the BM control knob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back