RCBO, single pole only.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got an RCBO for my sockets like I said in a previous post. Another question I have is, does it meet current 17th edition regs regarding disconnection.
As it only physically disconnects the live wire right?

Sponsored Links

The use of RCD's with a rated residual operating current (I delta n) not exceeding 30mA and an operating time not exceeding 40ms at a residual current of 5 x I delta n is recognised in a.c. systems as additional protection in the event of failure of the provision of basic protection and/or the provision of fault protection or carelessness of by users.

No mention of single or double pole requirements.
Have you seen something which specifically mentions double pole?

That's what an RCBO is. It just happens to incorporate overload protection.

Sponsored Links
Fuses and MCBs etc., are all overcurrent protective devices as far as the regs are concerned. The are a few times where slight differences are needed depending on the BS number of the OCPD (cable calcs for example).

There are no specific regs for MCBs, and a different set of regs for fuses.

So, in your vast knowledge, would an RCBO be adequate for additional protection under BS7671:2008?

I'm of the opinion that 415.1.1 refers to both an RCD and an RCBO, if you disagree then maybe production should cease for RCBO's. It's your call :)

No one is interested in your opinion, read what you said.

Fair enough, I know nothing. Lets have your opinion then.

So, in your vast knowledge, would an RCBO be adequate for additional protection under BS7671:2008?

Calm down, if you get involved in a technical discussion your opinions and my opinions are equally invalid and pointless.

Have you read what you said yet :)

I'm very calm and interested (seriously) in your opinion on RCBO's and if they satisfy the requirement for additional protection in BS7671:2008.

I just asked because I see many DP RCD's being sold and my little SP RCBO only disconnects in the phase conductor. Which is what an MCB does, but obviously both poles are better than just one?
If the rcbo disconnects the neutral wire electronically that would not count.
Most RCD's are DP, right??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back