rcd on ring main

I

imigix

i would like a rcd on my ring main

i do not wish to replace my consumer unit and i wondered if i could use a shower trip

i have seen them in their own houseings so i presume they could wired into the ring after the fuse / trip

can anyone advice please

Sponsored Links
Easiest way is to replace the standard breaker in your consumer unit with an RCBO which is a combined RCB and MCB - this is if you have a modern style fuseboard!

What make fuseboard have you got - have you got any pics?

tell us make model and colour of your consumer unit please, and part no's off the MCBs inside will help. A photo will be useful. RCBOs are great.

This is notifiable work.

edited: bah, too slow.

Sponsored Links
i would like a rcd on my ring main

i do not wish to replace my consumer unit and i wondered if i could use a shower trip

i have seen them in their own houseings so i presume they could wired into the ring after the fuse / trip

can anyone advice please

well my consumer unit is the older fuse wire type

i have just rewired the ring main and would like to add the rcd

i am by way of employment in electronic security so i am able to do the work

What's a shower trip? :confused:

I assume he means a BS EN 61008 30A RCD.
There's no problem using one in a separate enclosure by your consumer unit after your protective device as long as the cables between the consumer unit and RCD enclosure aren't concealed less than 50mm from the surface of plaster (unlikely but just pointing it out).

Well you could install a 30 mA RCD in a 2DIN enclosure next to the consumer unit run the ring main cables into the top of the RCD and supply it with 6mm tails from the fuseway in the box.

The question is what is a consumer unit? A fused spur unit is not a consumer unit and except in special locations one does not have to notify under Part P.
Fitting a garage or shower type box to house a RCD and MCB on an existing circuit is not really any different to fitting an RCD fused spur unit.
Why is a consumer unit notifiable work? I would assume because isolation is a problem and because the chance of mistakes are high.
I would take my guide from my local council who fitted a chair lift to my parents house using a Henley block and second mini consumer unit and did not issue any completion certificate so if the council who are the regulatory body do not issue completion certificates for mini consumer units why should anyone else?
May be it is a Welsh thing as to the best of my knowledge neither Part P or BS7671:2008 are available in Welsh so are not valid in Wales? But I don’t think so and in Flintshire it seems mini consumer units are not notifiable.
Eric

The question is what is a consumer unit? A fused spur unit is not a consumer unit and except in special locations one does not have to notify under Part P.
What have fused spurs got to do with the price of fish?

Fitting a garage or shower type box to house a RCD and MCB on an existing circuit is not really any different to fitting an RCD fused spur unit.
Apart from being notifiable, of course.

i have just rewired the ring main and would like to add the rcd
That was notifiable too.

I would take my guide from my local council who fitted a chair lift to my parents house using a Henley block and second mini consumer unit and did not issue any completion certificate so if the council who are the regulatory body do not issue completion certificates for mini consumer units why should anyone else?
Because the law says they should?

I expect some council drivers break the speed limit too - what does that prove?

May be it is a Welsh thing as to the best of my knowledge neither Part P or BS7671:2008 are available in Welsh so are not valid in Wales?
I think you'll find that the Building Regulations do apply in Wales, whether they are available in Welsh or not.

But I don’t think so and in Flintshire it seems mini consumer units are not notifiable.
Don't be ridiculous - of course they are.

:rolleyes: It's still notifiable work. :rolleyes:

can you expand on your reply please
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back