rcd trips out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i had a new ring main put in my kitchen and tested the sockets with a kettle when it was done and they all worked. but when i put the kettle on to boil it tripped out the rcd as soon as it boiled. i also tried with an electric shaver and that tripped it out straight away. what is the problem

Sponsored Links
Was this new circuit installed by a registered electrician and did he fully test and certify the circuit?

Has the circuit ever worked properly?

If so when did it stop working?

this is a new circuit.

i wired up all the sockets myself but got an electrician friend to wire it to the board.

like i said to test it i plugged the kettle in to all the sockets and when i saw the redlight come on i assumed that all the sockets were working.
but when i fully boiled the kettle it tripped out the rcd.

Have a look at the Electrical Installation Certificate your electrician left you when he connected the circuit.

What are the readings for insulation resistance and the RCD trip times?

Sponsored Links
50-1 on the reply being "What certificates ?? Whats Part P anyway ?? :eek:

Did the electrician use a 'household appliance' to test the circuit too ?? :LOL:

Ed.

like i said to test it i plugged the kettle in to all the sockets and when i saw the redlight come on i assumed that all the sockets were working.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The light will come on even if the line and neutral are reversed.
The light will come on if earth and neutral are reversed.

Just plugging something in is NOT the way to test a final circuit.

so what your saying is i need to check all the sockets for wiring problems?

what else could it be?

edwardcurrent, i'd love for you to be my bookie, very generous odds indeed

this is a new circuit.
Did you notify it in advance?

i wired up all the sockets myself but got an electrician friend to wire it to the board.
blind%20leading.jpg

so what your saying is i need to check all the sockets for wiring problems?
All the sockets and the associated wiring, however if you had a spark connect it in I'd expect them to have checked the resistance of ring conductors, calculated expected R1+R2, measured R1+R2, insulation resistance, polarity (as part of ring conductor test), checked earth fault loop impedance, ensured the installed MCB/Fuse is suitable for the PFC at that point and done the RCD checks.
This should have left you with a sound circuit.
what else could it be?
Incorrect connection at the CU but you say the kettle boils so I doubt that is the case. I'd have expected this to have been picked up with the I&T anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back