RCD

GU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a rcd/mcb for a 8.5kw shower I've fitted, it says it is a c/w 2 pole, 63amp, 30mA rcd and 1x40amp mcb. What does the c/w mean and does the 63amp mean it will only take 63amps? All replies greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
c/w = complete with?

Sounds like you have bought a small consumer unit. The 63A is the maximum current that the RCD is manufactured to handle. Not a problem if you are only using it for 40A.
Adding a C/U though is a notifiable activity under part p of the building regs, I just hope you don't live in copeland if you intend doint it yourself!

c/w = complete with?

Sounds like you have bought a small consumer unit. The 63A is the maximum current that the RCD is manufactured to handle. Not a problem if you are only using it for 40A.
Adding a C/U though is a notifiable activity under part p of the building regs, I just hope you don't live in copeland if you intend doint it yourself!
Since a bathroom Part P anyway. But where only one output then it is not a distribution unit it is only doing same as a RCD FCU so not so sure if it would require Part P notification?
It would I think depend on how it is supplied. If an existing circuit was cut and this inserted maybe not? Although new circuit will require Part P.

Sponsored Links
I'd have classed it more along the lines of a new consumer unit supplying a new final circuit, so a full IEC and part p notification are required.

Altering the circuit protective measures isn't minor work, it will require a full EIC and isn't on the list of non-notifiable activities for part p and hence is notifiable in itself.

Part P notification is definately required, it is a new circuit in a special location and the op lives in England.

Are all the bathroom circuits RCD protected?

Have you extended the supplementary bonding to the new circuit?

What size is your main protective bonding?

What size is your main earth?

You will sometimes notice, that it actually costs less to buy a two way Wylex 63 amp 30mA RCD consumer unit, instead of a standalone Wylex 63amp 30mA RCD by itself.

So that's the way to go - if you need RCD protection added to a shower, just buy the complete consumer unit, and just insert a 40, 45 or 50amp breaker into the unit, blanking off the other slot, and install it as usual. :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back