Re-chargeable drill/driver

Sponsored Links
The choice is vast, what is your budget, what's it going to be used for, etc?

Dont buy a "budget" make e.g. Erbhaur, or any of the own brand ones.

The area they save money on is the battery - which will die on you if you only use it occasionally.

Go for a decent brand, Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, Hitachi etc. and it is much more likely to actually charge up if it hasn't been used for a few months.

Better makes also have rapid charging batteries - make sure you get 2 batteries, nothing more annoying than having to wait for the batttery to charge.

I have Makita gear (others are just as good) mostly 18v NiCad range, so many of my tools share common batteries. If you aren't doing heavy work the 14v stuff is good.

You can get good deals on the older style NiCad or NiMH battery models, the latest Lithium-Ion battery stuff is replacing.

Worth while buying a make that has other tools that can use the same battery - then you can add to the tool chest over time, and the tools are much cheaper without batteries.

I'll bite and disagree with PaulJR on his 1st sentence.

3 years ago i bought an Erbauer 18v with 2.8mah li-ion battery costing £108.
It helped me through building a 22sqm extension achieving everything i've asked of it, all one one battery, which has sometimes not been used for months. It recharges quickly so no issue there.
This drill/driver has been possibly the single best bang for buck tool i think i've ever bought. It's been abused over the 3 years i've had it. The step-son now abuses it as a sparky.
Seriously, don't always discount home brands 'just because'.
Makita and Dewalt are probably the defacto recommendations....if you have a big wallet and use it daily.
So impressed with the Erbauer was i that i bought their 10.8v impact driver cost me £59.99 (on offer). Again, fantastic piece of kit, light, sturdy, strong, reliable, quick to recharge. I've had this over 2 years now, and i can't figure out now after all the abuse its taken whether the chuck is slightly off centre or whether its the bit holder i'm using. But still, a great tool. 6" screws into 7x2" timbers, no problem.

Last week i bought a twinpack of DeWalt 18v XR li-ion drill/driver and impact driver. No doubt they will be far superior to the Erbauer, but they cost almost exaclty double, so bloody well should be.

For an occasional DIYer, the Erbauer will suit your needs and your wallet.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
hhmm.... you'd have to be pretty dumb to assume that it wasn't a typo though :mrgreen: .

Lol, well then they'd be none the wiser for my faux par then surely!
"I cudda gotten away with it too if it weren't for those pesky ki..err...monkeh!"
:mrgreen:

Hi all,

Could I ask if we could bring this back to the subject at hand, as I am in the same position. I do quite a bit of DIY, and so use my drill/driver at least once a week to once a fortnight.

I have been using a B&D firestorm for the last few years which has been excellent. However, I have clearly dropped it one to many times as the spindle is nolonger rotating perfectly straight. In addition, one of the batteries finally gave up the ghost this week. So I too am looking for a new drill.

I would say that the limit is a couple of hundred, but would like to get something for 150 is possible. It needs to have two batteries, and a hammer setting as well. I have looked at the range, and as you say it is huge. any recommendations are very welcome.

thanks,

This is an excellent drill.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc...drill/22854?cm_sp=Homepage-_-Tools-_-DeWaltXR

I bought the twinpack which contains that drill and a 18v impact driver but with 2 x 3.0ah batteries instead of the 1.5ah ones offered on the deal above, and came in a really great case and cost £294, .
Still excellent drill though.

Remember 1.5ah simply wont last as long between recharges as a 3.0ah battery. It still packs the same punch but for shorter periods of time.

The best value of the lot id from Lidl. 10.7 volt Parkside; li-ion battery, fast charger, light, reverse, 2 speed gears. I love it. Not touched the Makita since I got it.

Oh and how much?

£34.99.

What a fooking bargain.

3 year guarantee too.
:mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back