Re-tile kitchen and make it look better

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to sell house at the end of the year. We want to make the kitchen look better. Obviously excuse the clutter, and we will also deep clean and paint. But apart from that is there anything else we can do?

We need to replace our old horrible semi-broken boiler. As this will disturb the tiles I though it would be good to just replace as they are horrible and I think it would improve the look a bit

Questions:

1) terrible at DIY and don't feel I should try this job as it is in such a visible position. Would you agree?

2) do you think the tiles would just drop off easily if I tried? I know that's hard to predict but any ideas or issues that could arise?.

3) is this too small a job for a tiler to do? They go round the whole kitchen on 3 walls.

4) not sure of cost of this work - maybe £200-300? Does that sound reasonable?

5) I did consider new worktop, sink and cooker hood but not sure if that's all too expensive and difficult to do cheaply

PICTURES:

IMG_20190216_214852.jpg

IMG_20190216_214901.jpg

IMG_20190216_214908.jpg

IMG_20190216_214915.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My thoughts would be,

1) if you're not confident then don't tackle it. Only you know if you could do it.

2) impossible to tell from pictures. There's a good chance that the walls will need some repair/prep prior to re-tiling. Are they brick or stud wall?

3) no job is too small, work is work. A decent competent handyman would be able to do the work. Ask friends family or look around locally.

4) cost depends on type of tiles you plan to use, bigger tiles mean less cuts equalling less labour. Edging trim adds time etc... I think cost wise for a decent handyman £300 not including materials is not far off. Depends where in the country you are though.

5) obviously much more expensive.

Get new boiler ( which should be smaller) raised to cupboard line and put a cupboard over it, quickest way to cover the wall is with 600mm wall tiles, very little skill required as it’s one line of tiles.
I used them on my old kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back