Rear detached house extension advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Considering purchasing a detached property with a view to carry out a rear 8m extension

I am not sure whether the kitchen is part of the original property as the kitchen roof is tiled whereas the actual house has a slated roof

Is there any way I can verify if this was part of the original house or carried out later and if so will this affect me from doing an extension?

I want to square off the rear but also extend it further beyond the kitchen to the maximum 8m allowance

Would I still be allowed to do an extension under the PD rules if the kitchen extension was added after?

Also I have noticed the manhole and 3 other drains fall within the area where I intend to extend and a garage which also has a drain which will also need to be knocked down to make way for the extension

Moving the manhole and drains is this likely to be a straight forward job without being to costly?

Pic of current floor plan attached

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190126-173721.jpeg
    Screenshot_20190126-173721.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You could search the planning portal, it may well have previous applications -older apps only have the consent letter or nothing!

Regarding knocking down to the original house to gain PD rear extension rules: I dont know, hopefully a pro will be along soon.....

8m is a neighbour consultation anyway so you cant assume it would get approval.

Drains: if private, do what you like (but still to b/regs), moving is usually poss with being a dealbreaker. Public drains not so easy. Impossible to know without having more info

Regarding knocking down to the original house to gain PD rear extension rules: I dont know, hopefully a pro will be along soon.....

8m is a neighbour consultation anyway so you cant assume it would get approval.

If I do purchase will introduce ourselves to the neighbours and try and get on good terms ;)

Drains: if private, do what you like (but still to b/regs), moving is usually poss with being a dealbreaker. Public drains not so easy. Impossible to know without having more info

Wasn't thinking of knocking down the kitchen but rather extending it further back to 8m and squaring it off at the rear, would this be possible or would I need to demolish the kitchen?

How can i determine the layout of the manhole and drains and whether they are public or private?

Does the 45 degree angle also apply to detached houses?

Cheers

Last edited:
Get a survey done, and instruct the surveyor to comment on whatever you want to do with the property.

It's foolish to buy a property on the basis of something that may never be permitted. You won't get the required level of information from a forum

Sponsored Links
Technically, you could not do the 8m extension under permitted development by enlarging the existing kitchen rearwards and sideways - daft as it sounds.
The reason is that the neighbour consultation scheme is not retrospective; in your case a considerable part of the proposed 8m extension would already exist,
so an enlargement under this scheme would not be allowed. You would need to demolish the extension first, but subject to......

An 8m extension could never be permitted development if the extension, or any part of it, was original to the house. This is because you would break the rule that states 'an extension is not p.d. if it extends beyond an original wall forming a side elevation of the house and is more than one-half the width of the house'.

So assuming the extension was not original, the wording of your application could be something like; 'demolition of existing non-original extension and construction of rear extension maximum projection 8m, max eaves height 3m, maximum overall height 4m'.

Technically, you could not do the 8m extension under permitted development by enlarging the existing kitchen rearwards and sideways - daft as it sounds.
The reason is that the neighbour consultation scheme is not retrospective; in your case a considerable part of the proposed 8m extension would already exist,
so an enlargement under this scheme would not be allowed. You would need to demolish the extension first, but subject to......

An 8m extension could never be permitted development if the extension, or any part of it, was original to the house. This is because you would break the rule that states 'an extension is not p.d. if it extends beyond an original wall forming a side elevation of the house and is more than one-half the width of the house'.

So assuming the extension was not original, the wording of your application could be something like; 'demolition of existing non-original extension and construction of rear extension maximum projection 8m, max eaves height 3m, maximum overall height 4m'.

If I've understood correctly if turns out the kitchen is part of the original house could I then extend it out and square off to 8m via PD?

Yeah, buy the place, put the application in, get no objections, get a decision and build it in 10 weeks from now?

Get a survey done, and instruct the surveyor to comment on whatever you want to do with the property.

It's foolish to buy a property on the basis of something that may never be permitted. You won't get the required level of information from a forum

But getting a survey done would be subject to agreeing to a sale? How much will this cost? Not sure if the vendor will allow it to be carried out prior...

But getting a survey done would be subject to agreeing to a sale? How much will this cost? Not sure if the vendor will allow it to be carried out prior...
Its risky buying a property that you would want to extend to create the house you want.

The neighbour consultation scheme is being made permanent, so a council is hardly likely to take enforcement action on any extension approved now but not completed before 30th May.

Ah ok, if I were to go via the full planning permission route that would work? with out having to demolish the kitchen and start again from scratch
Yes, you would need planning permission for that. Whether or not it would be approved would depend on the councils' planning policy for domestic extensions.

Yes, you would need planning permission for that. Whether or not it would be approved would depend on the councils' planning policy for domestic extensions.

I'll be calling a local surveyor tomorrow regarding my plans, will see what he says before considering whether to purchase or not.

Also is there any way how I can determine the layout of the manhole and drains and whether they are public or private?

Does the 45 degree angle also apply to detached houses?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back