Reasons not to steal cables

Sponsored Links
He will probably get compensation under the Human Rights Act, as only criminals (and the mega rich) are afforded its protection. :rolleyes:

Too true CHM. The Human Rights Act isn't fit for purpose when it serves only criminals who use it to claim compensation for their activities.
When did you hear about the human rights of the victims of crime?
Hmmm never, I believe.

have no idea where skelton grange is, but the juice sounds like its about right for running electric trains, like the underground (not the model hornby type- before some wit makes a gag about toys for big boys
:) )

could it b setting stepped for this purpose here??

Too true CHM. The Human Rights Act isn't fit for purpose when it serves only criminals who use it to claim compensation for their activities.
When did you hear about the human rights of the victims of crime?
Hmmm never, I believe.
Blimey - 3 in one day.

Sponsored Links
have no idea where skelton grange is, but the juice sounds like its about right for running electric trains

Skelton Grange is in the area of Leeds, Yorkshire. It used to be the site of a generating station, hence my comments above about the 21kV possibly being some holdover to feed into existing transformer primaries from that time. The power station there was closed down some years ago (about 15 or 20?).

The U.K. Inter-City electrified railway lines (East Coast Main Line, West Coast Main Line etc.) operate at 25kV, 50Hz.

Why don't you mentally deficient c***s take your barbaric posturing off to the GD cesspit where it belongs?

I don't blame anyone for the guy's injuries except himself - he should be the only one held responsible for those, and he should be brought to account for the crime.

But to say you wish he'd been killed? FFS, you are all disgusting.

A 27-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a gas explosion which is believed to have been caused by the theft of copper cable.

clicky

A 27-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a gas explosion which is believed to have been caused by the theft of copper cable.

clicky

Risking lives including those of the emergency services. That really puts this type of crime into perspective. Lock them up - throw keys away.

Supposing one of the 7/11 terrorists survived by some miracle but all the innocents still died. I'd say "pity". Would you still call me disgusting?

Or are you really the same as me, except you have a higher threshold before you think someone ought to have paid the ultimate penalty for his sins?

Supposing one of the 7/11 terrorists survived by some miracle but all the innocents still died. I'd say "pity". Would you still call me disgusting?

Or are you really the same as me, except you have a higher threshold before you think someone ought to have paid the ultimate penalty for his sins?

Yes but there is a difference between a terrorist (out to intentionally kill people - that is his/her primary goal) and an ignorant person who causes death or injury by his actions.
Driving too fast for road conditions or using a mobile when driving can lead to the same thing can it not?

Yes but there is a difference between a terrorist (out to intentionally kill people - that is his/her primary goal) and an ignorant person who causes death or injury by his actions.
Driving too fast for road conditions or using a mobile when driving can lead to the same thing can it not?

I've been very tempted to grab it from the till
I've been very hungry but not enough to kill.

Strummer (the late and great)

People do commit crimes and the punishment should be proportionate, all this zero tolerance attitude is all very well until it is YOU in the dock for something minor (then you'd want a bit of compassion).

I get really hacked off with low lifes nicking my copper and satnavs, but I am happy for them to do a bit of community service for it and learn that it does not pay. Rather than have them sent to jail for some indeterminate time. It is mostly kids anyway, so really we are all responsible for them.

It seems that respondents would agree with the sentiment that it would be a pity if the terrorist didn't die through his own actions, but not for an opportunistic or negligent thief.

I'd agree.

But here we are talking about a thief who planned his misdeeds, carried them out with deliberation and got injured as a consequence of his thieving endeavors.

Thieves who steal copper cables or lead from roofs cause damage that far exceeds what they can sell the metal for.

So, if you saw someone lying injured near to a ladder, with obviously stolen lead half loaded into a pickup truck, would you get help or would you turn a blind eye and walk by?

Would it make a difference if it were your lead he'd stolen?

Stoday";p="2053139 said:
So, if you saw someone lying injured near to a ladder, with obviously stolen lead half loaded into a pickup truck, would you get help or would you turn a blind eye and walk by?[/qoute]

I would offer first aid and call for ambulance and police. Suspecting a fractured leg I would use the other leg as a splint by tightly binding his ankles together. Would not be a good idea for him ( or her ) to run away on a suspect broken leg.

Problem would be a fellow thief who may decide first aid would delay them getting to the scrap metal dealer.

Only that I would get a crime number from the police.

It seems that respondents would agree with the sentiment that it would be a pity if the terrorist didn't die through his own actions, but not for an opportunistic or negligent thief.

I'd agree.

But here we are talking about a thief who planned his misdeeds, carried them out with deliberation and got injured as a consequence of his thieving endeavors.

Thieves who steal copper cables or lead from roofs cause damage that far exceeds what they can sell the metal for.

So, if you saw someone lying injured near to a ladder, with obviously stolen lead half loaded into a pickup truck, would you get help or would you turn a blind eye and walk by?

It would make no practical difference to me. First, I would provide him with help. Second I would be pxxxxd off that I am late for something important and this is of his own making. Third, I would wonder what has driven him to do this. Fourth, I would wonder if he had a kids that depended upon him despite the fact that he is letting them down by his actions. I would also call the police to report him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back