Reasons not to steal cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lad on the BBC website, self-confessed metal thief. We often read about the thefts, but never hear from the thieves!

Picture of his burns in the link (not for the squeamish). http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-13678266

A self-confessed metal thief who was seriously burned trying to steal live power cables said his injuries were so bad his daughter did not recognise him in hospital.

James Sorby, 22, of Cavalier Close, Cross Green, Leeds, was left close to death after being hit with a 21,000 volt shock at a power sub-station.

The impact blew part of his skull off, leaving his brain exposed.

Leeds magistrates gave him a 12-month community service order for burglary.

He said the exact detail of what happened during the incident at Skelton Grange earlier this year was unclear.

He said: "All I can remember is going into the empty warehouse.

Clothes cut off

"I definitely didn't grab the cabling with my hands because I wouldn't do something like that, but I accept I was there to steal the cabling because there was no other reason for me to be there.

"The next thing I remember is the ambulance arriving. I was in a bad way."

Sorby said ambulance staff cut off his clothes.

"There was blood everywhere. It was coming out of the top of my head, my ears, my nose, and from my gums.

"I was taken to hospital, and the first 48 hours were crucial because that's the time when you're said to 'cook' inside.

"The pain was unbelievable and the doctors told me I only survived because I am so young and fit, which also means my injuries won't take as long to heal.

Stuck to pillow

"If I had been older it would have been a lot worse.

"The skin grafts were horrible and they had to take the staples out of my skin while I was awake.

"One morning when I woke the skin which had been grafted on to my face had stuck to the pillow, and it had to be done again."

He said he had not seen his three-year-old daughter until eight weeks after the incident because he was so badly injured.

He said: "When I finally got to see her, she didn't know who I was.

"It wasn't until she could smell me and hear my voice that she realised I was her dad and not some stranger.

"It was a horrible experience to realise that your own daughter didn't know who you were."

Sponsored Links
FGS these idiots cause so much hassle! Some of them have even figured out how to switch out sections of HV overhead lines in order to cut them down and have the copper away! :evil:

FGS these idiots cause so much hassle! Some of them have even figured out how to switch out sections of HV overhead lines in order to cut them down and have the copper away! :evil:

Even switching HV is potentially risky, so perhaps some of them will get caught out... :evil:

And I thought HV overheads weren't copper?

21,000 volts? That's not a standard phase-to-phase or phase-to-earth voltage for any of the regular U.K. distribution systems in widespread use today.

Does Leeds still have some sort of oddball old system in use?

P.S. Never mind, just realized it said Skelton Grange, so perhaps something used to feed at the voltage once supplied by the generators there.

Sponsored Links
He probably wished he was dead after the suffering he was going through. I wonder if he'll get a job now.

Yes, I considered the possibility of it being a typo or the usual journalistic indifference to getting technical facts correct.

But after noticing the Skelton Grange reference, it could be correct, as generators often output at something other than 6.6, 11, 33kV etc. I know it was some years ago that Skelton Grange was closed down as a generating station, but I figure they might convert something incoming to the old generator voltage in order to feed into existing transformers.

IM sorry to say, but serves him right for trying to steal the copper....Guitar guy is correct in saying the thieves have learned how to "siwtch off" O/H lines and in some cases transformers, which only backs up the theory that they have inside info on how to go about "switching" things off.....

I wonder if he will try claiming compensation.

Some of the older overheads around here are solid copper.

Andy

I wonder if he will try claiming compensation.

Some of the older overheads around here are solid copper.

Andy
Of course he will claim compensation, and will be successful, he will probably get a good few thousands.
It's the thieves that prosper in this country, not the law abiding public.

Wotan

He will probably get compensation under the Human Rights Act, as only criminals (and the mega rich) are afforded its protection. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back