recess lights: 6cm space only.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I want to fit some recess lights in my flat.
So Im after some fire retardant lights.

I'm not too fused if they are low voltage or main voltage.
(I'd prefer mains voltage so they can be dimmed)

BUT...

I only have 6cm space above the ceiling. :cry:

All of the lights I've seen (such as those on lite-craft) are about 108mm tall.

Can anyone suggest what I can do?

Thanks
Jeff :D

Sponsored Links
6cm space.....

So is this a block and beam concrete ceiling with a false plasterboard suspended ceiling below?

If so, the block and beam acts as a fire barrier, and you can use any downlights you want. Also great for diagonal fishing ;)

the lamps are about 60mm long themselves.. then you have the connector on the back...

so in short, you can't have recessed lights.. you'll have to go for the surface ones..

Or look for lower profile flush ones :arrow:

whats the arrow for anyway?

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty certain that 240V downlighter halogen lamps are going to be too big unless they do a semi-recessed fitting..

you might get away with 12V ones as the lamps are slightly shorter..

Have a look at kitchen cabinet lighting.

They can be recessed and the depth of the actual fitting will be less than 25mm.

You might have to fit a few though!

Note gents the O.P has said he has 6 CM space not 6MM space ;)

Not that would help much anyway!

thanks for all the responces.

1: yes I think its a block and beam concrete building.
I've looked through 3 of the fixture holes and they all have concret above them (6cm above them)

2: Ive got some recess lights already from litecraft.com
The doc's that came with them state 13cm required, yet I can just bend over the top connection block (that is on a vertical picece of metal) and they might fit (bending them over still takes up almost 10cm). Just not sure when they say 13cm, they mean for ventiliation and if I should have a fire hood over them.
Diagram of them...

click for pic.
http://www.litecraft.co.uk/shopfiles/product/image9109.jpg

no need to be fire rated if its a concrete floor.. concrete doesn't burn all that well... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back