Recessed lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm going to be phoning an electrician out. Is it possible to put walkover lights in a gravel border. The gravel sits on mud.

Can this be done?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm going to be phoning an electrician out. Is it possible to put walkover lights in a gravel border. The gravel sits on mud. Can this be done?
Very little is impossible, and I very much doubt that that would be. Your electrician, if (s)he is a decent one, will probably have ideas about options and details.

Kind Regards, John

It's the hidden wiring that's worrying me. As the gravel is all around the edge of my garden. Basically, 3 sides of the square shape garden i want them fitted.

You'll need to dig some deep holes for underground cables put it in conduit to avoid it being hit when digging in the garden normally. You'll also need it on an RCD protected circuit for it. Your electrician will know all this and will advice :)

Sponsored Links
20160730_185128.jpg

Basically in the yellow gravel at the fence. Will it be expensive do you reckon?

Probably a few £100s + cost of the lights, and unlikely to require massive holes or an RCD either.

I was under the impression these were going along the edge of a lawn and a flower bed or something.

It looks like a new build all circuits could well be protected by a couple of RCDs anyway.

Last edited:
Cool, it's artificial grass and just a border of stones. Yes, only been up 2 years. £300 or there abouts i had in mind.

Thanks

Remove the gravel.

Put in some landscaping fabric to stop things migrating into the soil, lay in a waterproof rope light, and fill the space with crushed glass.

Glass plain or coloured, rope light white or coloured or RGB or RGBW, according to your personal taste.

FYI - the problem with walkover lights is that unless you buy proper commercial grade ones, they will almost certainly fill with water.

It's the hidden wiring that's worrying me.
If you use an LED rope you'll probably be able to have the supply indoors and just run ELV wiring outside.

As the gravel is all around the edge of my garden. Basically, 3 sides of the square shape garden i want them fitted.
Any chance of a sketch plan showing where the gravel section is in relation to the house?

So you have.

Any chance of a sketch plan showing where the gravel section is in relation to the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back