recomend me an impact driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
rite folks am in the market for an impact driver, but a bit unsure as what brand to buy, i do know that i wont have any more dewalt rubbish, will be used for putting concrete fixings in, and large heavy screws
cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
had my hitachi for 2 years. work outside in all weather doing landscaping. gets used all the time for decking, timberlocks, rawl bolts etc. cant fault it

If you are putting in concrete fixings you might want to consider a 1/2" impact wrench rather than an impact driver. I can only comment on Makita impact drivers but mine is faultless and with about 145N/m of torque its plenty for my needs.

Sponsored Links
Another vote for bosch, I just bought the 18v Li impact driver and its so powerfull not the lightest though ,will have to try it with 1.3 ah batts.
Screwfix got a trade in at the mo,, you take in any power tool and get £50 off the impact driver so for £185 with batts case and charger its a good deal.
kicking myself as I bought mine bare for £120 a week before the offer came out at screfix
or you can get the Bosch 14.4 v Li which is a bit lighter and is £150

as ive said before on this forum
bosch 18v - 160nm of torque
makita 18v - 145nm of torque
Durofix 18v - 190nm of torque
and the cheapest and lightest is .............
the durofix :D

I just bought as little durofix 10.8v which has 102 Nm 3000 ipm.

I am glad I bought it. the box is badly thought out as it is unnecessarily bulky I have to minimise bulk my tools live in a strong box.

But the actual tool and the way it works is faultless.

Most of my tools are Hilti so I have high standards. I am not sorry I bought this littel impact driver.

something to consider before you part with your money is that Bosch give you a 3 yr warranty and if it goes wrong they even pick it up for you and deliver it back when they have fixed it.
I like the security of knowing that I dont have a headache coming if the tool fails.
GDR 18V
Battery capacity 3,0 Ah
No-load speed 0 – 2.800 rpm
Charging time 30 mins
Weight incl. battery 1,7 kg
Torque, max. (hard screwdriving applications) 160 Nm
Rated impact rate 0 – 3.200 bpm
Length 145,0 mm
Height 241,0 mm
Battery voltage 18 V
Toolholder 1/4" internal hexagon
Screw diameter
Screw diameter M 6 – M 14

* Unique Bosch Premium lithium-ion technology for unbeatable battery runtime
* Bosch Electronic Cell Protection (ECP): protects the battery against overload, overheating and total discharge
* Extremely robust: fully functional, even after falling 2 m onto concrete, due to flexible Dura Shield housing
* Practical battery charge level indicator constantly shows how much energy is left in the battery

Shows that Bosch have faith in what they make and sell unlike other companies....

Hilti use PAnasonic Batteries and their guarantees are as good as it gets. I wouldn't prefer a Bosh over an equivalent Hilti.
Some of my Hiltis are very old secondhand units some more recent one is brand new on 2yr guarantee and lifetime aspects to the care. Others are on a Fleet arrangement where you sort of lease them and Hilti take care of everything aswel as you get a new one every 3 years sort of like leasing a van.

But the interesting thing is that the guarantees are worthless, the reason being non of the m,any hiltis have ever needed a guarantee.

Finally all hiltis have worked better for producing the professionally required results than any equivalent of the same class.

as ive said before on this forum
bosch 18v - 160nm of torque
makita 18v - 145nm of torque
Durofix 18v - 190nm of torque
and the cheapest and lightest is .............
the durofix :D

Load of cobblers.

Most of the big companies realise that the torque output is misleading so that they now only publish "sustained" torque measurements.

P.s. the durofix's 190 is Max torque specification and not sustained. :rolleyes:

Was not trying to make out that bosch Blue was the be all and end all of tools but they are very good and very reliable for the price, they are not in same league as Hilti or say Festool , I was referring to similar priced tools such as Makita, Dewalt,Durofix etc that come with 1 yr warranty..

The point I was trying to make is 1 yr warranty on expensive power tools is appauling and companies should put the money were their mouth is and give better warranty

eg.... give 3yr warranty, if tool fails then the company send a courier to pick tool up , fix it then send courier back with it.
even better would be full on site warranty

The point I was trying to make is 1 yr warranty on expensive power tools is appauling and companies should put the money were their mouth is and give better warranty

eg.... give 3yr warranty, if tool fails then the company send a courier to pick tool up , fix it then send courier back with it.

Totally agree.

Bosch blue impress me anyhoo. ;)

Bosch Blue give a 3 year warranty (standard 1 year, but you get an another 2 years free if you register it on line. They will also send a courier to collect a faulty tool, repair it and deliver it back to you within 5 days. They will collect from any address you specify (home, site, distributor etc).

Don't think anyone else offers anything like this apart from Bosch Blue.

Thats why Bosch (blue) have had about £1200 of my money in the last 2 years :cool: Quality matters to me

Back to the OP I am really impressed by my Bosch 18v impact driver,
but may be best to go to a tool shop and have a look at what is available and which you prefer,

Same here, almost everything I own is now Bosch Blue, used to own DeWalt but got fed up with it breaking all the time and the carp warranty service that took forever and usually ended up in them trying to wriggle out of their obligation, Bosch service is every bit as good as the tools they make.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back