Recommend a router for a beginner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've been toying with the idea of buying a router for some small home projects. The choice is bewildering, and tbh, I don't really know what I want/need. Should I buy a router, I'll be using it for shelving, maybe making a chopping board out of some spare thick wooden worktop, and perhaps a few other odds and sods. Also, I have a Work Bench as the only means of a platform to use, so don't really want something that requires a lot of space.

Any suggestions? I want to spend as little as possible, but equally don't want to buy the B&Q cheap effort that sighs and gives up. If you've ever been in the same situation, hope you don't mind letting me know what you purchased, and if it was any good!

Thanks in advance, apologies if I've been a little vague!

Sponsored Links
we have 1/4" and 1/2" routers the only job that requires the 1/2" is worktop cutting.
both were from B&Q, both are used regularly and never had a problem
cutters we have are JCB brought as a set from Makro the worktop ones came from B&Q.

as long as you realise the machine is only around 25 to 30% off the cost you will have to pay over a couple off years :D :D :D

you need to start with a cheepo router cutter set then as you use them replace the ones you use with more expensive ones
so buy a 1/4" router of say around 800w and say a 15 to 24 peice router cutter set plus a router matt and lub spray then your set up
i have several routers ranging from 300w battery to 1850w hitachi m12v mounted under a table

the smaller lighter routers get most use but then thats easy as i choose the right router for the job

when you start out the main things you can do with a hand held router is
mould edges cut rebates or grooves
the list will improve as you buy/make jigs then will double as you buy a table and a 1/2" router

i suggest you look at the ryobi range as they will have spares for years to come the quality is known and good at a reasonable price

personally i wouldnt buy cheap,have a look on ebay USE YOUR JUDGMENT and perhaps you can get a very good quality one for the price of a cheapo from the sheds?also have a look for the cutters.

Sponsored Links
I paid about £20 for my router. Its a 1/4" jobbie from Titan. Does the job fine for me. The plunge is a little bit stick but ohter than that works a charm.

Thanks for all your assistance, I'll work out exactly which projects I want to start first, and buy according to that.

Will now consider the cutters that I get too

Thanks again

personally i wouldnt buy cheap,have a look on ebay USE YOUR JUDGMENT and perhaps you can get a very good quality one for the price of a cheapo from the sheds?also have a look for the cutters.

i agree a cheap router can have a badly engeneered chuck plunge mechanism or motor
go for a known brand like bosch green ryobi black and decker if your on a budget

lidles and aldies do routers occassionaly ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back