redirect an exiting flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have a dated gas boiler, which heats the central heating AND hot water (works fine BTW).

Unfortunately the flue exits approx. waist height, straight out into the path of my workshop door. Sending hot air (not a bad thing when its cold) and fumes (not a good thing at all!) when it kicks in early evening, if I have said door open.

Its a flat wall with the flue cap poking out.

can I put a 90degree bend on that flue and a length of pipe to get it above workshop height?

what would this exhaust pipe need to be made of? (in particular the 90degree bend)

worried about any back pressure or restriction that such a bend might put on the existing system

TIA

Sponsored Links
No is the short answer - as you said it is dated.

If it was more recent you may have been able to buy the correct flue fittings.

You CANNOT do ad hoc.

Products of combustion entering a building is regarded as Immediately Dangerous.

Last edited:
As above, you cannot legally or safely retrofit a flue to a boiler which was not designed and approved by the boiler manufacturer for the purpose. Doing so could endanger your life (as could having the flue gases entering your workshop door). Sounds like an installation that needs to be condemned as dangerous to me

Sponsored Links
ahhh ok sound advise taken, thank you both (y)

bit strong to have to condemn the boiler on the grounds that I went and built my garage downwind from the existing flue! :unsure:

but I will bide my time and wait for it to fail, then go modern and ensure the flue isn't anywhere near my door.

The fact I have to book a bath in advance is more irritating than the hot air and smells this dinosaur throws out when i have the door open :sneaky:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back