Refilling heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the past few days we've had two pipes which were connected to the heating system but sticking through the kitchen ceiling capped off and a radiator taken off the wall then refitted for the plasterer. Just wondering if we have to manually refill the system to replace lost water or if it does it itself?? It's an old Potterton back boiler system we have. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
the radiator will require bleeding in order to fill

Thanks bhm, just done that and it's heating up.

One thing though. In a cupboard in the son's room is the stopcock for the hot water coming from the loft. Beside that pipe is another with a smaller stopcock on it. Which I assume sends cold water to the tank in the loft. The one that turns the hot water off though is dripping water from around the spindle on it. :confused: It feels like the washer or whatever is inside of it is broken when you turn it. So, would I be able to turn the cold feed off, drain the tank in the loft then undo the nut at the base of the spindle on the hot stop cock and replace what I'm assuming is a washer of some sorts inside the stopcock? :confused: Or will I need a plumber to replace the entire stopcock as it's soldered into the pipe. Or can I just replace the innards of it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back