reillo oil burner no spark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
went out to customer. trianco oil boiler eurostar 65 not working.

oil pressue good, motor spinning, 50v from white wire off of motor.

no spark. its an old g5 burner, replace control box, no change, put in new 240v line, no difference. i had a spare motor so checked that. no difference. in the end the customer wanted a new burner because she rented the place and had loads of issues before.

put in new sterling burner, fired up and was fine.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
ignition transformer is part of the control box. i replaced the control box, no difference. i even checked it against another control box, PLUS put the control box i took off that old 1 onto a different burner and it worked. :?:

As I don't do oil boiler, as the motor ok, oil pressure ok, control box ok, may be the ignition HT lead?
Or have you clean up the spark electroc and it mounting, check that it got a good earthing? Poor earthing mean poor sparking or none at all, and also check for spark gap?

Dan

Sponsored Links
IT obviously must have been the photo resistor or solenoid coil!

Assuming that you checked the electrodes!

Seems like an expensive way to repair it to me.

Are you new to oil?

And assuming you checked the fuel supply, pump pressure and nozzle for blockage. The G% burner is a reliable, easy to maintain unit. I agree with Terry. Glad I'm not your customer.

ok, i'll repeat myself.

the control box contains the transformer and coil, i replaced that with the spare 1 i carry, it didn't work, SO i checked the motor, i checked the photo cell, i checked oil supply and pump pressure. i checked all the volt readings. all were ok. so, i got another control box and it STILL didn't work.

it simply would not spark at all.

i have even put the old control box which HAS the transformer inside it onto 1 of the reillo burners in 1 of my dads houses and it works fine with the old photo cell!

i am not new oil, i simply have not seen something like this before

p.s, i'll keep the old burner cheers for spares for my dads camray.

Remove the old electrode block and check for tracking to the nozzle holder.
was the blast tube wet ?, if it was dry than look at faulty coil.

Components on this burner can cause strange faults.

If it was not the motor(50v control cicuit),control box/photo resistor,then the only component left is the coil!

My bet is that one of the coils (it has two holding /lifting) is shot!

I have never encountered a faulty electrode on this burner unless subjected to physical damage!

please forgive me for asking what i think is a daft question BUT, where is the coil on this burner if it is NOT in the control box? i have the burner in front of me and i see no coil, i have taken the control box apart and i see there is a coil inside there.

am i being daft here?

please forgive me for asking what i think is a daft question BUT, where is the coil on this burner if it is NOT in the control box? i have the burner in front of me and i see no coil, i have taken the control box apart and i see there is a coil inside there.

am i being daft here?

Is this a P!!!!ss take?

Ask yourself what the solenoid coil does.

Unless you have Gremlins it will probably be sat on the oil pump!

You state that you are not new to oil :confused: ( which Oftec centre allowed you to slip through your 101)?

I agree with Willhelm

F F S.

I agree If you dont know what your doing leave it alone.....if you know oil burners...whats going on! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back