Remeha 28c boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a Remeha 28c boiler installed in October 2010 and ever since the pressure has gradually reduced to the extent that now I have to fill it every day. I have had all new valves fitted on the radiators and I am now going to have a new kitchen tap fitted, (monoblock) as this is now leaking around the base, in the hope that this will cure it. If it dosen't can any body help with an answer.

Sponsored Links
We had a Remeha 28c boiler installed in October 2010 and ever since the pressure has gradually reduced to the extent that now I have to fill it every day.
Did the installer do a pressure test on the system before installing a sealed system boiler?

Get the installer back and insist he sorts it out.

Your Kitchen tap will have nothing to do with it mate, but it does sound as if you've either got a leak in your Central Heating system or there's a problem with the Expansion Vessel or PRV on the boiler. Was your old system vented & they sealed it when the new boiler was fitted??

We had a Remeha 28c boiler installed in October 2010 and ever since the pressure has gradually reduced to the extent that now I have to fill it every day.
Did the installer do a pressure test on the system before installing a sealed system boiler?

Get the installer back and insist he sorts it out.

The fact that house has deteriorating pipework that is starting to leak
is hardly anything to do with the installers work.

Simply pay someone to find the leak. The will be a central heating pipe under the floor downstairs that is leaking.

Sponsored Links
The fact that house has deteriorating pipework that is starting to leak is hardly anything to do with the installers work.
Any competent installer would have carried out a pressure test on the pipe-work before installing an unvented boiler.

The fact that house has deteriorating pipework that is starting to leak is hardly anything to do with the installers work.
Any competent installer would have carried out a pressure test on the pipe-work before installing an unvented boiler.

Sorry DH, that doesn't happen. There's cowboys around our way doing combi boiler changes for £750(including the boiler!!). Testing the existing system? These chancers test or clean nothing. I'm not saying this in the OPs case; but most people in the UK just want a cheap job, that's all.

Competent installers must be very thin on the ground
then. I bet if I went to the last 100 combi conversion boiler installs in my local
town you'd be luck to find any where a pressure check on the central
heating pipework had been done.

Perhaps you might like to run a survey of the plumbers and gas fitters on these forums.

At what pressure would you carry out such a test? If a joint is blown by the test is the installer then responsible for it? As far as I'm concerned if a customer insists on changing to a sealed system they accept the existing installation can take it. If it can't, putting it right is at their expense. I would only pressure test and guarantee what I fit.

We had a Remeha 28c boiler installed in October 2010 and ever since the pressure has gradually reduced to the extent that now I have to fill it every day. I have had all new valves fitted on the radiators and I am now going to have a new kitchen tap fitted, (monoblock) as this is now leaking around the base, in the hope that this will cure it. If it dosen't can any body help with an answer.

Have you contacted the installer?? It would be a bit strange if he's only giving you a 'tail light warranty', I mean a Remeha is not a cheap boiler or the type of boiler fitted by cowboys.

At what pressure would you carry out such a test? If a joint is blown by the test is the installer then responsible for it? As far as I'm concerned if a customer insists on changing to a sealed system they accept the existing installation can take it. If it can't, putting it right is at their expense. I would only pressure test and guarantee what I fit.
But it may not be the customer who insists on a sealed system boiler. He may say he he wants to get rid of the HW cylinder to free up the space. So the installer recommends a combi boiler. (How many combi boilers are there which are not sealed? I can't think of any.)

So the customer takes the advice of the installer and has a combi boiler installed. Then the problems arise - leaking valves (easily fixed), pressure loss which cannot be located. The customer will, quite rightly, say to the installer, "You didn't advise me of any potential problems so I'm not going to pay to put them right. That's down to you."

But it may not be the customer who insists on a sealed system boiler. He may say he he wants to get rid of the HW cylinder to free up the space. So the installer recommends a combi boiler. (How many combi boilers are there which are not sealed? I can't think of any.)

So the customer takes the advice of the installer and has a combi boiler installed. Then the problems arise - leaking valves (easily fixed), pressure loss which cannot be located. The customer will, quite rightly, say to the installer, "You didn't advise me of any potential problems so I'm not going to pay to put them right. That's down to you."

There's quite a few combi that can be used on open vented systems DH.

Most installers will have a clause in their quote/estimate saying they don't cover work/repairs to the existing system.

You learn something every day! :eek:

Most installers will have a clause in their quote/estimate saying they don't cover work/repairs to the existing system.
They might do, but they have a responsibility to point out to the customer the potential problems associated with installing a sealed boiler into an existing vented system.

Sorry DH, that doesn't happen. There's cowboys around our way doing combi boiler changes for £750(including the boiler!!). Testing the existing system? These chancers test or clean nothing. I'm not saying this in the OPs case; but most people in the UK just want a cheap job, that's all.

Thanks for your comment but we certainly didn't have a cheap job done, ours cost £1750.00.

You learn something every day! :eek:

They might do, but they have a responsibility to point out to the customer the potential problems associated with installing a sealed boiler into an existing vented system.

Well DH, if you have learned from me I'm happy, cause I always view your threads as an educational read.

Yes, I agree the installer should also point out the potential problem of the conversion of vented to sealed.

They would have to insist with me, I won't offer to pressurise old systems. However an open vent system should still have been installed to withstand reasonable pressure eg. 3 bar. If it doesn't it's faulty and that's not the installer's fault. The potential problems only exist if the customer's system is in substandard condition regardless of age.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back