Remeha Avanta Plus Boiler Fault

Agreed with you boiler man ! Superb boilers! FYI they have at last done something about that gasket on the burner and they are now made off Graphite so hopefully that will save us changing 1 every service! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Hopefully, then it won't cost me an arm and a leg to sort this out. I did ring one national 24x7 number off the net last night and they quoted £278 to come out!

I will ring Heateam tomorrow and see if this is covered under a warranty. I did have the boiler serviced just before Christmas by an independent Gas Safe Engineer.... just my luck to have it breakdown so soon after a service!!

Thanks again!

I thought the Avanta only needed the burner removing if the fga readings were poor?

Upon each service they require a new glass seal and electrodes, its in the book add approx £35 to each service.

Sponsored Links
Upon each service they require a new glass seal and electrodes, its in the book add approx £35 to each service.
That's only if Maintenance is required, i.e the boiler does not pass the Inspection checks.

If during the annual inspection the flue gas analysis indicates that the values are outside the figures given in table 11, maintenance work should be carried out as described in par.3.2. Also carry out maintenance if the ionisation read-out value is lower than 3 or higher than 9μA

3.1 Inspection
The annual inspection of the Remeha Avanta Plus can be limited
to the following checks:
- check the water pressure;
- check the flue pipes and air supply pipes for leaks;
- check and clean (if necessary) the condensate siphon;
- check the ignition electrode and ionisation;
- check the combustion and flame pattern;
- Fill in the Benchmark Service Record on the inside back pages.

Well i have one of these combis (in a london flat let out) and it is maintained by a leading insurance/utility company,ie you know the firm who are changing their van colours.
So far in 3 years they have fitted x 2 main, new heat exchangers as per their paperwork,electrodes,fan.control board but never seals.
So i think its a great boiler due to size and hot water flow but no one from the above company is happy or have no confidence to repair it.
i was told it needs a power chemical flush due to water being corrosive at a cost of £420.00 but this was withdrawn as they installed it after i re informed them.
All i can add is please send an experienced boiler engineer not a parts fitter/estimator in the future and please can the insurance company change seals for £5.00 annually rather than £500.00+.
Umm i await your responses yes i have answers.

Aah, I thought I'd read the MIs properly when I serviced them. Thanks, D_Hailsham, I thought I was going to appear on Rogue Traders! Just goes to show, it is a mistake believing things people post as fact on here.

Regarding the PatsMotors post, I too think the Remeha is vastly overrated.

They are a cheap boiler made cheaply, we have had a number of problems with our installed base, and stopped fitting them after 6 months. Some on here talked about them as the 'second coming' - in similar terms to the way the Atmos/Intergas lump is currently revered on this forum.

There are plenty of good boiler makes out there, for small domestic I'm sticking with Bosch, Viessmann and Vaillant.

NB: The Remeha manual is just superb. There are just 4 buttons on the front of the boiler - the manual describes 5. No-one proof read the thing, that should tell you all you need to know.

the manual was translated into english.
very dutch..
my neighbour also has the same combi and whenever its serviced they always change the front gasket,even if its changed and the guy needs to come back a week later to change a water/electrical part ,the gasket is changed again.
their boiler has only broke down twice,due to an airvent leaking and insitu clock stopping.
their boiler is exactly same age as my boiler but mine has been rebuilt several times due to no flame sense/lockouts.
ummm brutus hash laptop readers.

E5 has two probable causes
a worn electrode (around£20)
or the string gasket between the burner tube and the front plate (Gasket set for boiler around £15)

So neither part is very expensive

Get the RGI to service at the same time ;)

Remeha is one of te best value boilers of quality on the market ;)

Thanks for the advice, I've had the same problem with mine. Our RGI has changed the worn electrode and the string gasket (which is now made of graphite).
It worked for a day or 2, but now the E5 error message has come up again.

The service manual says: é5
No ionisation or ionisation failure more than 5 times during one heat demand.
CO2 wrongly adjusted
Check:
• CO2 adjustment on the gas block;
• ignition/ionisationpin;
• flue/air-supplyconnections;
• gas flow at full load;
• if there is no recirculation of flue gasses (either inside or outside the boiler).

Has anyone else had this problem? Will this fix it?

Hi,
Further to Debs2012 original post, I have a Remeha Avanta Plus giving the same error message.

I called out a local Gas Safe registered engineer to service the boiler and correct a rattle that had developed. The rattle was due to a worn diverter valve actuator, which has been replaced.

Since the engineers visit i have been getting the E5 error, he has been back twice to try to rectify the problem without success, he assures me he can find no reason for the error and resetting the boiler either by switching off or the rest button often gets the boiler working again but not for long.

He has adjusted the gas rate to make the boiler run slightly richer, CO2 reading is now 9.2 rather than the specified 8.8, are the Remeha's temperamental and could this be the reason for the intermittent recurring failure.

Regards

Mark

Are generally ok if fitted correctly and are generally ok if serviced correctly.

You need someone who has experience on these boilers,iirc the fault finding book is of little help.

Did your service guy change any gaskets during the service ?

the co2 settings need to be pretty on mark on these especially the low co2 i find , did he leave a flue gas analyser print out ?

what has the engineer replaced or done so far ?

Hi I've got the same boiler and had the e5 message. Also the boiler let's off a loud bang. I've had a plumber out who checked there was no air in the radiators but he wasn' familiar with these boilers. Could you please give me a contact number for the Wigan area. Thanks

the gas valves are weak on these , change front gasket , electrodes are weak .and diverters crunch for a past time , its a shyte boiler ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back