Remember PitchFibre pipes? How do I connect my toilet to one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing my toilet, currently its a low level WC with S bend, the soil pipe rises out of a concrete floor.

Currently I have a 5" (approx-if anyone can remember the standard sizes and even better the internal diameter that would be great!) pitchfibre pipe that protrudes about 30mm from the floor, it gets wider as it leaves the floor, I assume this would be to accept another length of pipe.

The S bend of the current toilet is sunk into the pipe, and the 10mm gap filled with what looks like cement. The plan is to cut the pipe flush with the floor, and install a new toilet using a 90 degree swanneck pan connector.

Are there any adaptors available to fit the pan connector into the pitchfibre pipe? This is doing my head in! If there isn't anything available has anyone got any ideas for a decent bodge?

If this sounds familiar, you'll have seen my previous thread, apologies for the repost but there were several Q's in the original which have now been resolved, but this issue remains.

yvrdto.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you cannot move the soil pipe exit further back then you have no choice but to build a false wall.

Stop faffing about and get it sorted! ;)

Ha! The reason I started a new post is to stop the original questions getting in the way of the current problem.

I'm all set to box out from the wall to meet the new bog. The problem is I need advice on how to connect to the non-standard oversized soil pipe. All the pan connectors I've found, even oversized, are no where near big enough!

Sponsored Links
If you cut the collar off the pitch pipe at floor level would a standard sized pan connector fit? Having said that, even if it did, the toilet is still going to look miles away from the wall.

No, I think the pipe is 5" below the collar, collar is nearer 5 1/4".

Distance from the wall isn't too much of a problem, I'm just going to end up with a large shelf behind the cistern. Box in/false wall could come in handy later as a replacement boiler might end up above the toilet in a couple of years and it will help hide the pipework..

No one sells a product that will pack out the differences in size? Expanding foam keeps making an appearance in my head but its pretty hard to control and the last thing I want to be doing is scraping it out of the soil pipe afterwards.

One of these might help you if you get an angle grinder and cut off the collar at floor level and insert.

Might be worth digging out the floor carefully and seeing how the pipe runs and seeing whether it can be cut back. :D

Why not cement? It has proven it's effectiveness judging by the age of the original installation. Failing that, plumbers mait?

Not aware of any fitting off the shelf for that size soil.

Sam

Just another thought if you dont fancy a dig. Is there another soil pipe outside you could connect to if you went straight through the wall? btw, thats the first time ive seen an 'island' toilet. lol

fit a 110mm loose collar on to the bottom of your pan connector with the rubber o ring end inside the pitch fibre, this will give you a stop for rope to rest against and not fall down the pipe, then seal the gap with silicone.

I expect the pipe itself is about the normal 100/110 size. The collars are always much bigger.

Thanks for the replies.

The rope/plumbers mait sounds like the solution I am looking for...basically I just need something that will get the job done if all other options fail. I am hoping that it wil be 110mm internal diametre but sods law it won't.

Any alternatives to the plumbers mait as I've heard it goes brittle and hard with age?

[ha..can't beleive they censor that! And enter an extra star to make it look worse that it is!]

Someone at work came up with a solution within seconds of asking...

Put a short length of 110mm plastic soil pipe into the existing pipe, pack it out with rope a few inches down and then use plumbers mate or some other mastic to seal it in. Then what ever pan adaptors I need will fit into the new sleeve and if I need to remove or change the bog again its a nice simple job :)

i thought my version of using a loose collar as it had an external ridge which would act as a stop for the rope was much posher!!!!!!!!!!

Oops, sorry Kirkgas, thought you meant use a normal 90 pan connector and rest the rope on the rubber sealing lips!

Could you link me to a loose collar? Not sure exactly what you mean! Can the pan connector just be pulled out of the collar in future?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back