Removal of gas fire, supply capped at meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Friend needs a fairly dated open-fronted gas fire removed so that a surround can be installed, followed by a new gas fire. The gas company came the other day and capped the supply at the meter (there is only the one gas appliance, the fire) but did not disconnect or cap the pipe at the fire.

The builder came yesterday to do the surround work but was reluctant to take the scrap fire out as that would have meant leaving an open pipe, and he was not sure of the legal/safety position on that. So, he did not.

Can a gasfitter give us the lowdown on this? Is it ok for a non registered person to disconnect the pipe at the fire, provided the supply is capped?

I presume it would be sensible in any case to ensure that no dirt could enter the pipe whilst the work is taking place.

Sponsored Links
Nope you will need an RGI to do it I'm afraid as there are tests that need to be done both before and after unless you remove all of the gas pipework all the way back to the meter. You're builder was quite right in his trepidation and you should get an RGI in to do it for you.

Jon

OK, thanks. I can understand that leaving a gas pipe uncapped could be a hazard, and if it's capped then a leak test would be necessary, after all compression or solder joints don't always seal perfectly.

The friend intends to have a secondhand gas fire installed by a RGI after the work is done. Occurs to me to ask if this is likely to hit any problems with regulations. It's not a boiler so doesn't have to be condensing type, but are there any other potential pitfalls?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking the same thing. It seemingly is in good condition and not very old, but With the level of red tape surrounding gas work she might just hit a situation where no-one will install it. In which case the prep work will have been wasted.

A second hand fire is always a risk for numerous reasons and I would never fit one for somebody not only for the safety aspects but also I could not warranty any work carried out as I have not supplied it.

What is the fire going in? Make/Model?

JonB, what you wish to do in your days work is entirely up to you, (within the bouns of the law :)) and I would never criticise anyone for using their choice, However, a perfectly good second hand fire, complete with all ancillary parts and MI's does not carry any greater risk than an old installed fire. IMO

A lot of pre owned fires are a pile of crud, but there are sometimes good ones. If I was interested in fitting one, it would be uner the conditions that I get paid for inspecting the fire (especialy if I declare it rubbish). They would also have to agree that if the fire was inoperative or I had to cut it off again, then the agreed fee would still be payable.
And, obvioulsy, there is no warranty supplied

OP: Before having the prelim work done, it would be wise to invite an RGI to inspect the fire, and your site conditions before doing too much more. Expect to pay for this service, especially of the job is aborted

Sponsored Links
Back