Remove concrete from (and restore) a Victorian doorstep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of restoring the doorstep on my Victorian terraced house. It has been tiled over at some point, which is not to my taste. I have stripped back some of the tiles, which took quite a long time as they were well and truly stuck down! Anyway, when the tiles were added the height of the step was increased by what looks like concrete and so I need to remove this with damaging the original step underneath, which appears to be in fairly decent condition. See attached photo. Does anyone have any ideas how I can remove the concrete without damaging the original step?

Attachments

• IMG_20160503_185143.jpg
    IMG_20160503_185143.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 1,973
Sponsored Links
Sliding a spade or a shovel under the concrete layer might lift the whole thing. Or a few hammer blows near the edge might shatter it into prisable pieces.
There doesn't appear to be anything on the step tread surface that could be damaged.
Do you intend to leave the remainder of the tiles? Its possible that the PVC threshold is sitting on tiles that were laid before the door was installed?
The two risers should be the same height typically: 7 1/2".

Off page but the plugged injection holes are far too high to be of any possible use.

Vinn - Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll be able to get a spade under it but I'll give it a go. Failing that I'll think about whether to go at it again with a hammer or whether to re-tile with some nice Victorian tiles. I've taken the flags off my path too and it's not in the best condition (see attached photo) so I'm thinking of getting the whole thing tiled anyway (see example attached), so I could include the doorstep as part of this. I was intending to remove the remaining tiles on the doorstep as I don't like them. I had given thought to the PVC threshold but was going to see what the situation was as I chiseled the tiles off.

With regard to the plug injection holes I'm not at all surprised. I bought the house as a refurb and it seems that some of the work was done on the cheap and by people who didn't really know what they were doing. The injection holes are two bricks above the air bricks. I don't know where they should be? Some of the neighbours have theirs in the same position and others have theirs in the line of bricks directly above the air bricks.

Richard - It would be nice to reinstate an original frame and door, as much of the character/original features were stripped out as part of the refurb, but unfortunately may budget won't stretch to that. As you can see from the photo the fence also needs replacing, plus I want to sort out my back yard. The joys of house ownership!

Attachments

• IMG_20160504_081234.jpg
    IMG_20160504_081234.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Victorian Black & Red Path Tiles v1.jpg
    Victorian Black & Red Path Tiles v1.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 785
Sponsored Links
You will have to work out the finished levels of the treads, and the finished level of the path. Having one riser higher than the other is dangerous.
The FFL of the path will affect the riser heights.
Tiled steps need quite a few considerations - type, dimensions, nosings etc.
The present tiles are too smooth for exterior use - you really need anti-slip tiles.
The dazzling Victorian pattern tiles in your photo are smooth (ie. slippy), and probably very expensive.

Best practice height for the DPC is the bed under the air brick or, failing that, the bed on top of the air brick.
The linseed oil mastic pointing has been poorly done.

Hi Vinn, thanks for the extra info. I'm starting to think that this isn't a DIY job and that I'll be best to just get someone in to do the work for me. A decent tradesman will do a much better job than I could ever achieve anyway, and in less than half the time. I don't suppose you're able to give me a rough idea of the cost to get get the path and step sorted, including re-laying the stone at the gate end?

The tile photo I attached was from Google images. Just to demonstrate the sort of style I had in mind. Following a quick search on the Internet I have found a website that sells new frost proof anti-slip Victorian floor tiles. They're 78p each which doesn't seem a bad price? I've ordered some free samples to see what they're like.

I guess I will have to make further enquiries about the DPC, and possibly having it re-done. I've already spent £2k getting the roof re-done as that was leaking due to the exceptionally poor job that had been done during the refurb. The pointing will have to remain in a poor condition for the time being.

This is the first property I've bought. I paid a premium as it had been refurbished, and as stated I have subsequently discovered some of the work was done on the cheap and to a poor standard. It seems my survey was done to pretty much the same standard, and I arranged that through the mortgage company. An expensive lesson for me!

Dont kill yourself - everybody starts somewhere and most of us learn by our mistakes. eg never again buy a "re-furbished" property or allow a seller to make good any mortgage retention points. Always do it yourself in terms of being in control of any building work.

The DPC issue was just for reference. Injected DPC's are useless in my experience.
What you could do is very carefully examine the interior walls and skirting esp. near the step/entranceway and look for damp signs.
If you feel energetic, you could slide under the floor and examine the joists/flooring near the front wall?

Yes when you make a mistake the best thing you can do is learn from it. I did have my eye on a property round that corner from the one I bought that needed refurbishing. Exactly the same size, style, etc. I got talked out of buying that by my brother-in-law. I certainly won't buy a refurb again. Like you say get the work done yourself and then you're in control. Plus you gain the benefit of any increase in value.

Ok thanks. I will have a look at the walls/skirting. I've haven't noticed any damp up to now but I have't really been looking. And if I find myself feeling energetic I'll see if I can get under the floor, lol!

As a small point , I think the proportion of that step is wrong, that's why it was raised, I would make it shallower (as you want) but a lot deeper, so you can actually stand on it.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back