Remove internal partition on my extension. Will the flat roof stand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I got an extension with a flat roof and 47x125 trusses with an average distance of centre to centre less than 400mm and a total span of 5.36m

A the moment I have a blockwork internal partition dividing the extension into 2 rooms and would like to have one large space as per my neighbours with the same extension and cannot see any wall in the middle or any beam below the ceiling.

My question is? Will the roof stand or the trusses will deflect under the weight?

The extension is only 2.6mm wide and this is a single floor extension with standard plywood and waterproof membrane on top of it.

Sponsored Links
Are the joists all one piece, or are they made up from two shorter joists resting atop the wall in the middle? 5 x 2in (125 x 47) seems a bit on the weedy side TBH. I'd have expected 7 x 2s (175 x 47)

Are the joists all one piece, or are they made up from two shorter joists resting atop the wall in the middle? 5 x 2in (125 x 47) seems a bit on the weedy side TBH. I'd have expected 7 x 2s (175 x 47)
They are one piece

Sponsored Links
Structure engineer confirmed a beam is required in case this would be of any help for someone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back