Removed spur plug socket - remaining sockets now tripping

Uni

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Totally puzzled and wondering if anyone could give me some advice how best to proceed please.

Unused plug socket, so we decided to disconnect and blank out. Opened the socket and found a single cable (which suggests its a Spur?). I terminated individually Neutral / Live / Earth into 30 amp connector block.

All sockets in the living room now now tripping out intermittently, even without anything turned on. If I turn the electric heater on which used to work fine, everything trips out immediately. If I reset RCD without anything used, after approx 30mins it trips.

I'm comfortable managing cables safely at sockets and the CU but nothing more, I was hoping to fix myself but I just don't know where to start.

Any help or advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
The Circuit is a Spur or Radial but disconnection it in the way you have shouldn't create any issues unless the Earth & Neutral are somehow coming into contact with one another and tripping an RCD.

Take the cover off and make sure there's nothing untoward in the first instance.

The other thing you could do is to return the installation to its former state, by refitting the socket you removed.

If the RCD still trips, it is unlikely that the two issues are related.

Sponsored Links
Is the terminal block a dirty old one you found in the back of your garage?

I guess that previously the earth was connected to the socket back box (if metal) but now isn’t.
I can’t think how that would cause earth leakage to increase, but it is a difference from how it was before.

you may have got a whisker of wire touching the backbox, or something crushed or pierced by a screw.

is the old insulation black and red PVC? not rubber, or lead, or cotton, or sticky tape?

is there any sign of damp?

your fault may be difficult to trace, but it leans towards neutral to earth leakage.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back