Removed toilet to be confronted by this....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a novice DIYer how do i even go about tidying this up?? (i've pulled the cotton buds and whatever the fury grey sealant stuff was and stuck a bag over it fore now)

I replaced the downstaris toilet which was a mess previously but aside from the fact it had been cemented to the ground it was nowhere near this?

Thing is i was hoping to run the shower waste into the soil pipe via a strap boss, would that even be possible from looking at soil pipe connector previously attached to the old toilet?

Attachments

• IMG_20181116_092649.jpg
    IMG_20181116_092649.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_20181116_092645.jpg
    IMG_20181116_092645.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20181116_093330.jpg
    IMG_20181116_093330.jpg
    638 KB · Views: 276
Sponsored Links
Drag it all out. The clay pipe flares out, it’s called a collar, it should clean up ok.

As a novice DIYer how do i even go about tidying this up?? (i've pulled the cotton buds and whatever the fury grey sealant stuff was and stuck a bag over it fore now)

I replaced the downstaris toilet which was a mess previously but aside from the fact it had been cemented to the ground it was nowhere near this?

Thing is i was hoping to run the shower waste into the soil pipe via a strap boss, would that even be possible from looking at soil pipe connector previously attached to the old toilet?
My spidey senses tell me that connector is a lead one ??? Off to the scrap box:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Yep the toothbrush was a bonus one less Christmas present...

Have had a go at cleaning the pipe up a bit, this is it in its current state, it appears to be metal and have had part of it cut out as you can see in the part nearest the camera.

Would this even be compatible with today's fittings?

Attachments

• IMG_20181116_163155.jpg
    IMG_20181116_163155.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 161
Not exactly, pan connectors these days are not designed to fit into what you have. Not in that condition.

Last edited:
Not exactly, pan connectors these days are not designed to fit into what you have. Not in that condition.
That will explain why the previous owners bodged it last time then I guess... and every other thing they did, the downstairs toilet was sat on a mound of concrete...

Last edited:
It was common practice ,many moons ago ,to bed wc pans on sand / cement. And it was also done with pan outlets ,into what you have ,also cemented in with hemp to make a seal. I guess your property must be very old ,early 1900 s ?

It was common practice ,many moons ago ,to bed wc pans on sand / cement. And it was also done with pan outlets ,into what you have ,also cemented in with hemp to make a seal. I guess your property must be very old ,early 1900 s ?

60s build I think late 50s at the very earliest
IMG_20160117_151627.jpg

What diameter is the pipe ? Is the raised flange section soft metal ,lead ? I have had to " ammend" a few over the years ,ground off the raised section so its at floor level , and fitted a pan connector extension into the pipe ,but i dont think it was 3 inch diameter.

What diameter is the pipe ? Is the raised flange section soft metal ,lead ? I have had to " ammend" a few over the years ,ground off the raised section so its at floor level , and fitted a pan connector extension into the pipe ,but i dont think it was 3 inch diameter.
Just stuck a magnet on it no its not lead and it looks like its previously been cut away at the front nearest the camera - the area that looks white is actually shiny.

Attachments

• scaralac pit.png
    scaralac pit.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
Thanks ,what part of my question didnt you understand regarded diameter ?
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back