Removing a shower switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shower switch in my hallway (next to the bathroom door). I'm not sure what it's for as the only shower I have, is the one is on the bathroom tap!

I've switched it on and the light doesn't come on, but even so, I'm assuming it is actually wired up.

Anyway I want to remove it as I plan to decorate the hall - what I'd like to know is how to get rid of it. Is it just a case of removing the switch cover, covering any wires with insulating tape, boxing it in and then polyfilla over the top?

Or do the wires need to be removed completely? And if so, how?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
No, under no circumstances pollyfilla it or cover it up. This is dangerous! First you need to ascertain if, in fact, it is live. This is easy with a multimeter (if you have one) or at a push, a voltage neon screwdriver.

If its live, switch off the MCBs or pull the fuses in the fuse box, one by one, until the switch becomes dead.

After confirming dead, take the front off the switch and note where the wires go. Try to trace them, and if possible remove them, including at the fuse box end. Note the incoming wires will still be live in the fusebox, even with the mainswitch off. Only do this if you feel confident.

If you cant remove them or dont feel confident with the above, you may be as well to remove the switch, terminate the wires in terminal blocks, and fit a blank plate. This way, the circuit is available for use in future.

I agree with Crafty to a point. With the cable safe, as per Crafty's advice, if you have an accessable loft above the switch you might be able to pull the cable up into the loft and terminate it in a junction box labelled appropriately. Or, would it be possible for the existing switch and cable to remain in place and be used to control your loft lights? The neon lamp would be a good indicator that the loft light is on.

Thanks both for your replies.

I'm not very experienced at such things :oops: so much of your responses left me a tad bewildered! However, knowing that I can leave the wires there and use the terminal block and a blank plate suits me fine.

Thanks again. :)

Sponsored Links
Lol, thanks for that! :D

Fortunately I know where my fuse box is and I just switch the whole thing off rather than pull out fuses trying to work out which one actually isolates the power to whatever I'm working on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back