1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing a toilet siliconed to the wall?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Originalgoon, 8 Sep 2017.

1. Originalgoon

Originalgoon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The flush valve in one of our toilets has broken and I need to replace it. I've done it before and it's not a huge job. Unfortunately, however, the cowboy who installed the toilet has siliconed it to the wall instead of using screws. They also appear to have caulked the gap between the cistern and the commode.

I tried using a bit of brute force and it didn't move a millimetre. Does anyone have any tips on how to resolve this or should I call in a professional? I hate the idea of having to call someone in for what is essentially a simple job but will have to bite the bullet if there's no way I can do it myself.

I've read a few suggestions to hacksaw the silicone. Would any sealant remover help?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

I've attached a picture if it helps at all.

IMG_3570.JPG

2. Sponsored Links
  3. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Last edited: 8 Sep 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Gorners

Gorners

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Long kitchen knife from either side in a sawing motion and prepare for some graft. I've recently had to remove a couple of shower screens and siliconed to the wall and that wasn't easy, so feel your pain!

I also believe it's a perfectly acceptable method of attaching sinks and cisterns to walls these days. Will certainly make it more secure than screws but not so good for maintenance!

• Like Like x 2
  5. polesapart

polesapart

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I disagree. Lazy and bodgy IMO.

Who'd want to attach a sink to a wall anyway? A basin perhaps..

6. Gorners

Gorners

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I don't necessarily disagree with you. Just seems to be an accepted method from what I've seen/heard.

7. Originalgoon

Originalgoon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry, not quite sure I follow. I tried twisting and pulling the top half out but it appears to be lodged and couple of stays have snapped off too it seems so not sure that will work anymore. Do you mean the whole thing can be snapped out?

8. AGAS

AGAS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    someone tried unscrewing the wrong way ;):ROFLMAO: they snap easy

9. Sponsored Links
  10. Originalgoon

Originalgoon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Lol I don't think so. Instructions online said to turn it 1/8th anti-clockwise which is what I did. Despite getting it loose though, I couldn't pull the mechanism out. Felt like it wasn't possible or there was some kind of catch I couldn't see. Instructions make no mention of it though.

11. Get a few long blade bread knives from your local £1 shop to cut the silicone away,

Or

A length of cheese wire threaded around the back of the cistern and use pliers to hold the cheese wire and saw away at the silicone,works a treat.

Also works very well removing basins,sinks shower frames or anything that has been siliconed to a wall.

cheese wire example, http://www.gnltd.co.uk/goat-nutriti...teel-wires-for-handee-cheese-cutter-60cm.html
    cheese wire.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Go and buy the new one and it should become immediately obvious how to get the old one out

13. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If it's CT1 you'll have to take the wall down :ROFLMAO:;)

14. Originalgoon

Originalgoon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Wow. What is your problem? No need to be a dick.

For everyone else, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Managed to cut my way through the silicone with a long serrated knife after a fair bit of effort. Will replace the valve tomorrow, all being well.

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Sep 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. dreadnoughtheating

dreadnoughtheating

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In and out in five minutes complete with my payment...... 7 if I get the full life story.

Fluidmaster slips straight in. Jobs a goodun.

16. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local