Removing emulsion from wall before tiling

like i said....cue people saying its never done me any harm ;)

Theres no need to chance it, pva vs acrylic is pennies different...

Any quite why site skim boards to then tile em these days is beyond me...

Sponsored Links
Like I have said im various posts, im a professional in the trade. Im not a shopkeeper.

I think tpt has covered off the fact that PVA shouldn't be used anyway but to further add that PVA can be re-activated by water and the OP is talking about a bathroom here. I guess it is a moot point as tpt has said the manufacturers tell you not to anyway but thought I would point it out.

Sure im not looking for an argument with TPT. He is entitled to his opinion and im entitled to mine.

If the OP wants to somehow remove all the emulsion paint from the walls then good luck to him. I can only tell him from my 24 year experience working on new builds and domestics as a tiler and a bathroom fitter and been around all various internal trades that i've never had a problem with doing what i've suggested nor had any failures/callbacks and i've even done it in my own property with heavy duty Porcelain tiles.

Sponsored Links
Amsie - i have 700x400 porcys on my own bathroom wall, one wall is onto skim and i know its way over the official tile weight, its been fine for 4 years. When i take the gamble and ignore the official stated way then its on my head, i can't tell a customer that 'it'll be alright' because if it goes t**s up then it comes back to me.

I've been in the industry for 19 years myself, 6 of which was as a tiler and we employ and sub contract tilers for domestic and commercial contracts. I know that in the real world there are often compromises to be made good and bad. Some cost real money because of time and the faff involved, some are just a case of being stubborn. Using PVA in this day and age instead of a straight swap for acrylic makes no sense to me.

Granfix for instance, will happily recommend that a customer fixes onto a painted surface, if its scored\abraded and then acrylic bonded, dont really see the point of bending this one?

I'm not after an argument either, but i'll give the same advice on here as i would at the counter, this is the way you should do it to get backed by the manufacturer, alternatively you can use method xyz but your sort of on your own....

Well if thats what the scientists at Granfix are recommending, acrylic primer then who am I to argue with that? :D

Your right what the manufacturers recommend and what we have to do on site quite often contradict each other and we have to just go with it sometimes. After all most customers don't really care about this sort of stuff they just want a nice tiled bathroom.

In my case I guarantee my work for a year and i've used the methods that i've said on here without any comebacks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back